Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just picked up my M695 Dark today and have been having fun with it. I have some questions I was hoping people on this board might be able to help me with (I did do a search for most of them but didn't find anything definitive... so sorry if this smacks of repost ;D

#1 The manual says keep it at 6000 rpm or lower for the first 600 miles. Rory at Munroe Motors in SF told me that this was not really necessary. He said just don't beat the hell out of it, and don't baby it. He said they've seen more problems when people baby it during the break in period than from people going over the 6000 rpm limit. Opinions?
#2 The bike is running lean. After it heats up a little bit, it starts to misfire in first gear when I hit the throttle. I think this is patently wrong for a motorcycle (not to mention dangerous when you are expecting the engine to engage fully and it doesn't). The mechanic I spoke to at Munroe said that there wasn't anything he could do to richen up the mixture. Is that true, or is he just being a lazy bastard? I've seen references to removing the emissions box. I haven't seen a thread that actually explains this mod (maybe I need to look harder). Is that generally the way to fix this problem or should I be beating on Munroe's service department to take care of this? Will it go away on its own as the bike breaks in?

I love the bike, though... it really feels very very nice. Need the 14t mod, though... most of my riding is in the city and I'm finding that I'm staying in 1st gear way too often. The 14t should help with that, no?

Thanks in advance.

(pics will follow soon)
Pete

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
OK, there are many different opinions on break-in. It is nto actually just until 600 miles but under 5500 rpms until 600 then under 7000 rpm until 1500. I personally took it easy until the 600 after that I gradually got it up higher. I have heard the baby it for a while and the get on it real hard thoughts, and although I did not get on it real hard I did not baby it all the way until 1500. It is also important to find some rides where you can work the suspension.

As for it running lean, as you sure it is lean or is it the fuel you are using. First I would just try running it with a higher octane rating. Most people find that 87 or 89 run the best in our 695's. He can do some things to richen up the fuel mixture and as it is a brand new bike, if it is not running right, they should fix it for you...no questions asked. Just my opinion, I am sure someone else will chime in momentarily.

Enjoy the new bike and bring some pics next time.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The most important part to remember about break in is avoid constant RPM/load, in other words, avoid the super slab. What you percieve as missfire may be running lean or several other possibilities. If it is tolorable, wait for the first service, if not bring it back in and complain. Do get the complaint on paper. You need to describe the problem. It is the dealer's job to diagnose and repair.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
The whole idea of breaking in the newer engines is a myth. You can't imagine >:D what an engine goes through by the factory before it goes out in the market. The ducati mechanics test your motor in really really nasty conditions (rel line rpm, different loads, different ambient temperatures, etc). Cool

That is to ensure that the prospective buyer should not have any problems with his bike in the future.

The engines (either car engines or motorcycle engines) are already broken in by the factory!

So it doesn't really matter.

In a previous post, i had asked my mechanic for a friend's 695 and what he had told me was that all the 695 are adjusted to be extra lean (that's why you'll see high temperatures) by the factory so they can qualify for the euro 3 emissions regulations. The thing is that the 695's ecu is not reprogrammable as it was with the 620s.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
My stock ecu was programmable at some points. When i purchased the Dp kit which included the DP ECU the mechanic could trick more options.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
petehed said:
So can I replace the stock ECU with a programmable one?
No, they dont make a programmable one for our bike yet.

In terms of breaking it in, just ride it how you want to ride it. This way the bike will know how you go and adjust to you. If you baby it for 600 miles then all of a sudden youre taking it to redline all the time the bike is going to react like "where the hell did this come from?". Im not saying redline it all the time if at all but dont be afraid to get it up to 6500-7000rpm if you want at times. I break in all my cars and now bikes the same. The fact that the bike comes from the factory with synthetic oil means that everything is sealed correctly from the getgo.

The 14t will most definitely help you around town, tons of threads on that.

The bike might run lean at first but it definitely adjusts itself. Ive got a drilled airbox and now exhaust on the bike and it was just in for the first service yesterday. They said its running perfectly within stock ECU parameters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It seems like for now I'm just going to ride the bike as I would ride it normally, break it in, and wait to see how it takes. I'll update this thread as I break the bike in and let you all know how it turns out. (it may take awhile... winter is here and in-city riding, while a daily occurance, doesn't put on a ton of miles).

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
35 Posts
1. Broken-in or not your bike should not run as you've indicated.
2. I have an 695 also w/ 4500 miles on it. Love the bike but has not run right from day one. Awaiting arrival of new tps, have already replaced ecu.
3. As you continue to do your research about this bike you'll find that they do run lean.
4. Be careful, not all the advice given in this thread is accurate. Some of it is just downright wrong.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Italia-Irish said:
4. Be careful, not all the advice given in this thread is accurate. Some of it is just downright wrong.
Please elaborate. Some of us would know what advice you would give thats right.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
The aftermarket chip is an open loop chip and is fully programmable. Once you have that installed, the mechanics are able to adjust the mixture and make it run mean rather than lean. Just had it done on my 695 a little while ago. They come out of the factory set so lean in order to meet import restrictions into our country, not neccesarily Euro3 standards.

As for the break-in, I've been told both stories by people I trust, so... I personally let my bike slide up into the 6000 range during the first 600 miles, but tried to let that be the highest it went. I have since had the new chip installed, canister removed, and new fuel map programmed and try to keep it under 8000 (@ 1500 miles) for the time being. I believe that as long as you get it serviced at all the right intervals and don't constantly redline and do high rpm downshifts the bike will be fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you point me to this aftermarket chip of which you speak? :)

I assume it solved your leanness problems.

Gratzi,
Pete

·
Registered
387 Posts
Chchadder said:
As for the break-in, I've been told both stories by people I trust, so... I personally let my bike slide up into the 6000 range during the first 600 miles, but tried to let that be the highest it went. I have since had the new chip installed, canister removed, and new fuel map programmed and try to keep it under 8000 (@ 1500 miles) for the time being. I believe that as long as you get it serviced at all the right intervals and don't constantly redline and do high rpm downshifts the bike will be fine.
I was told that the only reason break in was important was weather you want your bike to go 30k or 100k miles. I usually try to stick to the break in rules (for the most part) because if im spending money on the bike I dont want to have anyone say it was my fault if it breaks.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
petehed said:
can you point me to this aftermarket chip of which you speak? :)

I assume it solved your leanness problems.

Gratzi,
Pete
The same Marelli ECU that comes with the aftermarket exhaust kit. Once that is installed the bike is open loop programmable, and yes...no more backfires or anything. Purrs like a beast.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Chchadder said:
The same Marelli ECU that comes with the aftermarket exhaust kit. Once that is installed the bike is open loop programmable, and yes...no more backfires or anything. Purrs like a beast.
afaik, the DP ECU is not 'fully' programmable, it just has a better set of curves than the stock one and gets rid of the O2, the dealer can only do a bit of trim, same as the stock one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
eh, I don't mind the fork reflectors... or the beer tray and license plate cruft, although the tail reflector is kind of retardo.
I just want to get that aftermarket ECU installed so I don't have the leanness problem anymore. That and the 14t sprocket. For me, it's about the performance more than the looks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts