Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here I am, a new member of the Ducatisti, with just 201 miles on the Monster 695 that I picked-up on Tuesday. I went for the glossy black with red frame.

At age 63, with about 100,000 miles of riding under the tires, I moved down from a Yamaha FJ1200 for something lighter and lower, trading brute torque for fun power.

I'm in Deep East Texas on the edge of the Big Thicket. My dealer is Eximport Ducati and Aprila in Houston. I also own a brand new solid red Arai helmet and a nifty set of little Ducati espresso cups and matching saucers.

So, today about 25 miles from home right beside the sign announcing entry to the Big Sandy Unit of Big Thicket National Preserve, the fuel reserve light came on. Whoa! Didn't think about that, did I? I did read the Owner's Manual last night and remember that the reserve is 3 cubic decimeters. Cubic decimeters. Are those the little drops that you put into kids' ears? Nah, those are cubic centimeters -- better multiply by 10 -- I have 30 drops of fuel left. Wait, maybe it's 10 squared and I have 300 drops of fuel left. Of course I have no idea how many feet per drop, whoops, I mean meters, this babygets. But, I do know that the way I have come it's 25 miles home and another 6 to the nearest station that actually has working pumps. (Wanda's Convenience Store is about 20 miles back but her pumps haven't worked since 1986 and one of them got backed over by a diesel pick-up with dual rear wheels.) Dallardvale should be about 5 miles ahead.

Yep, made Dallardvale -- one regional school and one closed general store, for sale, call Victoria at 936-365-8445. Wonder if there is cell phone service out here. Wonder if my wife renewed our AAA account last month. MCN said this tank held 3.9 gallons and I've only ridden 145 miles since leaving the dealer. Wonder how much gas he put into it.

Six miles later and there is a store with three pumps. Two diesel and one regular unleaded. It's been 11 miles, so I am getting better than 30 drops to the mile. It's 20 miles to Livingston and real gasoline so I give it 1 gallon and ride on into town.

Now, where the heck is the battery? Really, I want to know. The Owner's Manual shows how to jump start but does not show the location. There's no place on this bike to hide a battery, but I see no trace of one.

Tommy T.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
the battery is under the fuel tank.

remove seat, unlatch tank (up front by the ignition), life tank and prop up with the nifty/annoying little tank stand (that lives alongside the frame, left side of bike). there lies the battery.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zarn02 said:
indeed!

(where are my manners?)

welcome aboard! as a community, we will be demanding pictures of your new bike. [thumbsup]
A hint is enough for me!

Making the deal:

Two miles from the shop on U.S. 59, SW Houston:

Thanks to my daughter-in-law for driving me down and taking those two. She got my wife to agree as well. Daughters-in-law are really, really good things.

Finally, a short cut home got me back to Big Thicket in just 120 miles:

I'll keep posting pictures as I accumulate some mountain miles up in Colorado and some quality swamp time across the Louisiana line.

Tommy T.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zarn02 said:
the battery is under the fuel tank.

remove seat, unlatch tank (up front by the ignition), life tank and prop up with the nifty/annoying little tank stand (that lives alongside the frame, left side of bike). there lies the battery.

Thanks, but Jeeze!!

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
congrats on the bike!!! I was close to getting the red with black but went with the dark. Now get those reflectors and stickers off and start modding!!!

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i really, really dig that particular color scheme. i'm thinking that should i ever repaint my bike, i'm headed in roughly that direction.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Thanks for the story and photos! [thumbsup] You just put a smile on my face.

Welcome.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Welcome.

You might want to poke your head into the THCM (Texas Hill Country) and DFWM (Dallas/Fort Worth) Local Club boards and say hi; left side of the page. There's also another group around, South East Texas Ducati Owners Club that may be of interest; http://www.txbiker.net/setexdoc/ They have a ride planned for December 15th out towards your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Welcome to the DML, Tommy T. !

Nice story, and nice bike. We look forward to hearing of your many happy miles on your new 695.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MonsterHooligan said:
pssst....get some gloves ;)
Yes, Sir!

I almost always wear gloves, even on my pedal power mountain bike. I got to the dealer in my daughter-in-laws car with my old helmet and one glove. I bought the new red helmet to go with the bike and picked up the other glove at the girl's house. I had gloves on for 100 of the 120 miles of the first ride and all 80 of the second.

Tommy T.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Hey, we may be twins. I'm getting a Black/red frame 695 any day now, and I also got a Red Arai helmet. First time for me. Obviously we both have excellent taste [laugh]

BTW, nobody else has addressed this, so her goes:
1 decimeter = 10 centimeters, so
1 cubic decimeter = 10^3 cubic centimeters = 1000 cubic centimeters = 1 liter

So the reserve is 3 liters, out of a tank capacity of 14 liters.

If the bike travels 145 miles on the first 11 liters, it should go 145*(3/11) miles,
or 39.5 miles, on the reserve.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts