Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...
Just thought I would say hello... new member checking out the board and lists. You guys have osme great stuff up here and its been fun to read. I think this is what happens when you are stuck horizontally with a hernaited disk... would rather be riding... and have the time to respond to every post... LOL :) I just picked up a 2000 900 with almost no milage and have been bringing it up to speed... it sat for a while and needed some TLC... :)
So, it looks like I'll just have to be riding into the cold weather... I think thats why I bought all that insulated gear a few years back...
Anyway, nice to become acquainted with the NY Ducati folks...
Thanks

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,
Thanks everyone for the welcome... nice to be here and run into riders...

·
Registered
137 Posts
edgesnyc said:
nice to be here and run into riders...
...stuck horizontally with a hernaited disk...
So that's how you got laid out.
*drum roll, crash* [laugh]

Welcome to the board, man.
Speed your way to health so you can get your butt on that 900 for a ride with some of us.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah its tough... I thought those objects were stationary and then it turned out to be a chinese delivery guy on a ZUMA... >:D
If only I knew how sciatica (herniated disk) starts I might be able to get rid of it...
Anyway, I'm definately looking forward to squeezing in some late season riding... with all who are willing... as soon as I can stand up... LOL

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Hello and Welcome edgesnyc.
sciatica and herniated discs are miserable, and they are, unfortunately, somewhat of a contra-indication for motorcycling. the longer the ride, the worse it will be. However, i do have lots of experience with this, as i've got some relatively nasty disc troubles and the accompanying sciatic pain that goes along with them. i still keep on riding though, for as long as the happiness of riding outweighs the pain and discomfort of the after-ride. you might want to check with your doc before following any advice anyone here, including myself, gives you, because no one here can know exactly what's wrong without seeing the mri.
with that said, here's my $.02 :)

ICE!...after every ride (and really any activity that strains your lower back...raking leaves, shoveling, long hikes etc.), throw ice on your lower back...this helps prevent the inflammation that causes your discs to start irritating your sciatic nerve. do at least two rounds of 20 mins on and 15 mins off.

STRETCH...here's a very effective stretch that works to both alleviate and prevent sciatic pain...i found some written instructions and a pic of some dude doing it online, so i'm not going to put it in my own words. i try to do this one every day.
# Lie on your back with both legs straight out in front of you.
# Bring up your right leg bent at the knee, with your foot flat on the floor.
# Bend your left knee and hip to place the side of your left foot on top of the lower part of the right thigh (half cross legged).
# Bring your right leg up further with the left foot still resting on the thigh, and thread your arms through the gap, so that your hands are clasped in front of your right knee.
# Use your arms to bring the right leg up further until you reach a barrier point in the right buttock.
# Rock your leg in and out of the barrier for a few minutes, feeling that the buttock muscles are progressively stretching.
(i'm hoping the attachment works here, because it's tricky to describe in words. if you want clarification feel free to pm me.)

I don't know what kind of shape you're in...but the less weight you are carrying around, the better...strong abdominals will help counterbalance the weakness in your spine, but it's sort of paradoxical, because working your abs can really be hell on a herniated disc...so don't overdo it.

Personally, i find that since i started taking yoga classes, my back bothers me less and less, but i realize this is not for everyone.

I hope you feel better soon...good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks for the post on the sciatica... Im actually feeling better today than in the last week... was able to walk and so on without looking like I was being hit with a sledghammer. So, I think Im going to try the Stretch that you posted. It looks easy enough... but yeah, totally hard to describe that one.
The icing and so on also has been invaluable. Someone suggested yoga to me today and I think Im going to try it when I am back up and able to stretch a bit more... I think there is a studio near my office downtown.
Anyway, thank you again and I am going to do all of this stuff in the hopes that my back returns to its former self soon.
Greatly appreciate the post.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
edgesnyc said:
Hey thanks for the post on the sciatica... Im actually feeling better today than in the last week... was able to walk and so on without looking like I was being hit with a sledghammer. So, I think Im going to try the Stretch that you posted. It looks easy enough... but yeah, totally hard to describe that one.
The icing and so on also has been invaluable. Someone suggested yoga to me today and I think Im going to try it when I am back up and able to stretch a bit more... I think there is a studio near my office downtown.
Anyway, thank you again and I am going to do all of this stuff in the hopes that my back returns to its former self soon.
Greatly appreciate the post.
:) always a pleasure to help fellow riders. glad you're starting to feel better too!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah it would be nice to run into everyone at some point here... hopefully it won't be to cold for a ride...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts