Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Ducatisti!

My name is Mario, I'm from Sydney, Australia and bought my first Ducati Monster 620ie Dark in October 2003!

Been following this Forum for probably one year, in that time i have gotten loads of good tips, ideas, laughs and i'm sure there will be many more hours online to come.

Apart from introducing myself, i just want to share a sad story about my beloved Mostro Nero, last thursday whilst riding it to work, i came up upon a ute taking a corner an intersection, as he took the apex i looked the other way for oncoming traffic, i look back and find the ute stopped! Giving way on a two laned road to a car that had not yet turned into the road! I was mid corner and about to go CRUNCH! anyway i hit the front breaks (way too hard) bikes falls to the ground and goes underneathe the ute, i fly left and land a metre to the left of the ute! Thank God I was wearing gloves and a good jacked...no real damage to me except a scratched knee....the Mostro unfortunately was worse for wear....really bad dent in the fuel tank, bent handle bars and bent gear lever...still rideable though.

I thought maybe $1,000 - $2,000 aussie dollars worth of damage, Ducati dealer rings me today, says the estimate is $3,800! i nearly fell over!!!

Anyone got an idea what a new fuel tank, handle bar and gear lever cost? no other visible damage any where on the bike, I have yet to speak to the smash repairer to see why it is so much...I have insurance but still, such repairs can't be that expensive can they? I've tried to paste/attach pics....any ideas on how to do that as well?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sad story, but bike is fixable,
I am glad You are here to tell about it.
Another learning experience to someone who reads You thread.

Skier

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The most important lesson i learned is the following:

NEVER ASSUME THE DRIVER IN FRONT OF YOU HAS AN IDEA ON HOW TO DRIVE!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I would take the insurance money and fix the bike yourself. IF the damage is only as describe, you could get used or non-OEM parts:

used Tank $300 US dollars
Levers $50
upgrade to clip-ons $150 (reg handle bar $50)

I will bet the mufflers are damaged so slip-on mufflers are $400-800.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hello MOSTRO-NERO and welcome.

Sorry about the damage to the bike.. This exact thing happend to a friend of mine here in the U.S...And I saw a similar incident (two cars.. ) about 2 weeks ago myself. Too many times people decide to make the turn then change their minds, stomping on the brakes and get rear ended by the person behind who's also looking sideways at the oncoming traffic.

As for the cost, I'd think it's about right.. the fuel tanks alone cost $1,400 (USD) I think.. (about $2000 AUD I think).. the rest of the damage plus labor, I'm sure would push the price to over $3k AUD...

On the other hand, you can fix it.. which is good, and you can upgrade parts while you have it apart...

I wish Ducati would make it so the tanks wouldn't ding so easily... I'm afraid of doing it to mine..

R

·
0 Posts
sorry for that,
here in italy a tank is about 500 eur / 550 UDS,
handlebar 100 eur (i think)
and gear level 60 eur
but I suppose you have to add shipment expenses.
If you call any ducati performance shop they will tell you the cost per pieces by phone. And also the cost for mechanic labour per hour.

When it happened to me I bought 2nd hand pieces and did the work myself, (not the tank, I left it damaged)
As many people customize monsters... it is not difficult to find pieces.
besides, many people on the board could give you advice for mounting handlebar and gear level (it's not difficult, though)

hope the forks are all right

good luck,
repliKate

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad news. I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. Had to replace the tach & it costed me $600 usd. Anyhoo, if the gear lever isn't too bad you might try to use a socket (14mm or so) to bend it back in place. It might provide a temporary solution. I did that and it seems to shift like normal.

M

·
0 Posts
I am glad to hear that you are alright. :)

Sorry to hear about the damage :( but now its tIme to customize your bike. ;D

Buy the bar mirrors this time. They give you a much better view of whats behind you. I got them today and love them. $65.00 for both. They do not come in pairs.

Tom.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the quote back today, the repairer made sme errors that the Insurance Assessor fixed - now $2,900 AUD - they are not replacing the tank, just repairing it, even though their is no visible damage, they will replace the LH blinker, mirror, front mudguard, foot rest and more.....not too sure why though...may have to grab the cash and customise it myself!!

M

·
0 Posts
That's the way to go. ;D Get your own look and money for mods. Sometimes life just flows. 8)

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wreck. The tank dents are nearly inevitable with any kind of drop. I just did my third one :'(

I also would (did) switch to clip-ons after bending the bars. You can get clip-ons for $140 US and the stock bars are $70. I would also not bend the gear lever while it's on the bike, if you haven't done so already. Take it off and use a vise. It will bend back OK.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Paul

What are clip on bars? i have never heard of them, does DP make them? whats the benefit of the clip on??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey Mostro-Nero

I crashed my m620 a few weeks ago, and am in the process of getting it repaired. Im in Sydney also, and unfortunately didn't have insurance. Who did you go to for your repairs. I think that the forks and frame are stright, but the front wheel is *slightly* buckled, and i want to get the tank dent/scratch dinged out and repainted.

If any aussies out there have got a sweet deal on handlebars i'm all ears as my bank balance is about to get reamed.

Stay safe out there.

Taste :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Tasty,

I took mine to Frasers at Homebush.....they are probably not the cheapest but they did a good job.....in relation to the tank they got a crowd to do a really good job...apparently in the states they cant repair tank dings....

sorry to hear about the crash and not having insurance.....that is a real bummer....as long as you ok thats the important thing.

let me know if u need any more advice

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
themagicalswitch said:
Quote from: MOSTRO-NERO on Yesterday at 09:06:42pm
>apparently in the states they cant repair tank dings....

did I read that correctly?
Yep, you read that correctly - Frasers lies to its customers... Often...

big (go on, ask me how I know!)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ok Big, im intruiged enough to ask you 'how do you know'?

Also, if you have any tips for a young sydney ducatist trying to fix his bike (tank damage, superficial wheel buckle, brake levers, handlbars) I'd appreciate it.

Taste

1 - 20 of 23 Posts