Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just received my shiny new M1000 this week, I have done around 300kms on it so far, love the torque, I have a question regarding the handling.

Are there any other riders with aircooled monsters who ride around 100mph or above.

Compared to me previous bike (Suzuki SV400s), the front end of the monster feels a little nervous, it feels as if it is about to break into a weave at speed. Any input through the bars seems to have a disproportionate effect compared to my previous bike.

Is this down to the handlebar mounted fairing and mirrors or handlebar flex or maybe it is just my riding technique.

Do any other monster riders have any comments, is this my imagination? What remedies have other people taken.

"Just get used to it" or "Why are you complaining about a brand new monster?" are also acceptable replies!

Thanks

stu

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The only problem I've noticed at speeds over 80 mph is that the wind is too strong and I don't like the feeling. One thing I've always liked about the Monster is that it doesn't really feel good to go faster than about 80 mph. That helps me avoid speeding tickets.

Some tires make the bike feel less stable at high speeds. I noticed on two different Monsters that a BT-010 front causes it to weave a little at high speed, while a sport touring tire, like the BT-020 is completely stable.

So where do you live that you can cruise at over 100 mph?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Japan,

I don't really *cruise* anywhere at 100mph, short spurts on the curvy bits of the expressway gets me to those speeds.

Having just watched the videos on www.thepestilence.com it is obvious that i don't in fact ride that fast.

Metzler Sportec M1s are whats on the bike, in my limited experience they seem as good/better than the Michelin Pilot Sports I used previously.

Thanks for the feedback appreciated

stu

G

·
Does your bike have the short wind screen? If so try removing it. And see if the problem goes away. I found on other bikes the slightest cross wind would cause my bike to do as you said. MyS4R does not, but I have only been over 100 for a quick burst.

G

·
I've had mine up to 130MPH a couple times. Didn't notice any handling glitches. I think you just need to get the feel of the bike.
Hey, what are you doing riding so fast on a new bike that you don't know yet?! ;D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Is your suspension set up right? Try moving your weight forward, if that stabilizes the front, reduce the front preload a bit and increase the rear preload a bit. What you are doing is putting more weight on the front and altering the trail a bit.

M

G

·
;D
Hey I ride to work around 7:45 AM SF to Oakland anywhere between 85 to 100 mph and I don't feel a thing. It makes me what to drive faster to work. But what's the point of that? Maybe I'll try going to a track and really test my M1000. You should ask your dealer about the shake. But why are you going that fast on a new bike, what about the break in period??
best of luck!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THanks to everyone who replied, most useful.

After rereading my post it is pretty stupid to be doing these speeds on a new bike before its first service , call it tough love, but if it wants to rev who am I to argue? I let the engine warm up first, and it is only for brief periods.

100mph is about 6-7k rpm in top isn't it. The manual says 6k max. The rest of the time I trundle around at 3-5k with the throttle half shut. It is cold here at the moment so I haven't seen more that 120C (250F) on the temp gauge in stop go traffic.

It is a feisty little thing isn't it! I 'did' a CBR600RR from the lights, just cracked the throttle from 3k and left him, it took about 10 seconds for him to change down 3 gears and actually overtake. I have never been able to do that on any bike I have owned previously. It is ridiculusly easy.

My feeling is that "Rider induced trauma" as SoCalStar said may be the main culprit, I should allow a little more time to adjust my riding style.

I should however check tire pressures, fasteners and that suspension settings are all standard, I will do that at the next service.

Thanks for all the replies

stu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts