Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Joe Rocket jacket with padding and spine protector. It is slightly used and is a little too big for me. Would this be a safety concern, or am I okay?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
If it is too big, the risks could be;

1. Excessive flapping in the wind at high speeds - very annoying and potentially dangerous.

2. The armour moving around during a get off - but there is a lot of debate on how effective armour is anyway, and it is very difficult in my opinion to predict if the armour will be in the right spot at the exact time of impact anyway.

3. The chance of the jacket getting pulled up over your torso during a slide.

I would say #1 and #3 are the most interesting to look at and easy to test. Does it flap at speeds? When it is on, can you pull it up around you?

If it flaps a lot or can be pulled up while zipped, you should probably get a smaller size.

mitt

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
If you get JR pants ... >

If it is too big, the risks could be;

1. Excessive flapping in the wind at high speeds - very annoying and potentially dangerous.

2. The armour moving around during a get off - but there is a lot of debate on how effective armour is anyway, and it is very difficult in my opinion to predict if the armour will be in the right spot at the exact time of impact anyway.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Re: If you get JR pants ... >

They can zip to the jacket and help keep it down.
What is "they"?

G

·
This is VERY dangerous!! You must immediatelly sell me the jacket for a very good price and use the money to buy one that fit's :D :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. The jacket was a gift from my mom's BF. He used to ride sport bikes, but now just rides tour bikes. I guess he didn't have a need for it anymore. I'll probably get some full leathers, and use the jacket for a back-up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts