Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys-

I've got my eye on a new 620 Dark at my local dealer. I love the black frame and black wheels. I hate the matte silver tank and fender - because they're (a) matte, and (b) silver.

Fender's no problem, I like the GP-style CF fender from Ducati. I've got three options on the tank, and I'd love some feedback:

Option A - get it painted.

Advantage - can choose my own color (I'm partial to dark green.)
Disadvantages - cost? How much should a simple paint job cost? And where should I get it done? Don't see anything in the local phone book but Maaco (shudder)

Option B - CF tank from Ducati.

Advantage - outrageous cool factor.
Disadvantages - outrageous price; durability questions (saw one on a Monster last year and it had a nasty fracture forwrard of the filler cap)

Option C - new steel tank from Ducati
Advantage - red is almost as nice as green.
Disadvantage - cost? How much are they?

Another advantage to B and C is that I'll still have the stock tank for a spare, and I can get creative with it (maybe some Tapeworks stuff to cut down the silver, under a clear coat - I saw a clear-coated BMW Rockster on another board that looked nice 'n' glossy.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Dave-
'00 Suzuki Bandit 600S

·
Registered
5 Posts
OPTION D EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-BBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D BUY IT (DO IT DO IT)"STARSKY AND HUTCH

·
Registered
248 Posts
My option would be A.
if the tank is in good shape u should be able to get it done under 400$(including headlight fairing, seat cowl) and u can get color of ur choice. Try ur local auto body shops. u should be able to find someone to do a decent job.

Option B. cost about 1200$-1500$ from a local manufacturer from florida. story goes they will fix the tank incase u damage it over time.
option C. costs about 1200$-1500$ from duc.

if ur bike is carbd u can actually get a tank from roadracing for 800$. hand made brushed aluminium.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Some thoughts to toss around:

If you really like dark green, it doesn't matter what color bike you buy

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
As far as findinga decent painter at a good price, I have had good luck with referrals from high end car audio shops. A lot of the trick installs have painted fiberglass work, or airbrushed graphics. They usually out source, and in the two cases I have been referred, the guy (or gal) did great work, and it was pretty cheap. I found this out through the grapevine sort of thing, just try with the best installer you have around. If you try a cheap shop your likely to get commensurate paint work.

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you like the dark green, then get the Matrix edition...it it already painted.

gnew

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Like Gnew said, look at the Matrix version. MonsterVixen put some pictures up not long ago. Nice looking bike. limited edition also.

Tom.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I like green also, but I photoshopped a Monster in British racing green with wire wheels and a tan saddle and caught hell for it on this board! You'd think I'd put an HD eagle on the side or something. You mess with tradition here at your own peril... ;)

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Put in your order for a GT1000...>

I like green also, but I photoshopped a Monster in British racing green with wire wheels and a tan saddle and caught hell for it on this board! You'd think I'd put an HD eagle on the side or something. You mess with tradition here at your own peril...

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent input, guys. Thanks.

OMG, that Matrix is the shizzit! See, I KNEW dark green would look awesome on a Monster. Sometimes I even surprise myself with my exquisite taste and refinement. 8)

Now, to convince the wife that buying a DUC won't in any way conflict with our baby plans... speaking of which, I wonder how she'd like DuKatie for a girl's name...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Excellent input, guys. Thanks.

OMG, that Matrix is the shizzit! See, I KNEW dark green would look awesome on a Monster. Sometimes I even surprise myself with my exquisite taste and refinement. 8)

Now, to convince the wife that buying a DUC won't in any way conflict with our baby plans... speaking of which, I wonder how she'd like DuKatie for a girl's name...
dont push it ;).

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Re: Put in your order for a GT1000...>

Green, wire wheels but you're on your own with the tan saddle. ;)
actually, i liked your color scheme. i don't care for wire wheels. actually, i like the look. polishing spokes instead of riding is what i hate.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
If she says yes to that baby name, push it.

Get the S4 with the Matrix paint job as a custom from Ducati. :D

Tom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts