Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through the forum for a while, I wasnt able to find answers to a couple of questions, and I was hopeing you guys would be able to help me out.

Ive been riding for 15 years and just a couple of the twins that I have owned have been a 1700 Road Star warrior, RC 51, and most recently a Buell Lightning xb12. I only mentioned the above so you didnt think I was a total newb.

Any way I'm ready to buy my first monster, but I'm stuck between the 800 s2r and the 1000 s2r. What ever the decision is, either bike will get the mandatory exhaust, chip, and air cleaner.

Is the difference in power worth it, if I were to buy the 1000 over the 800?

I dont care about cost the difference, at this point it is minimal to me, and with in my budget. The only thing I can compare it to is the Buell's and I know you guys around here seem to hate those, sorry.

But with that in mind the Buell 12 is a lot of bike and the 9 is good but sometimes leaves you wanting more, especially on the straights when riding with the I-4s'. In the corners it dosent matter because thats where I like to ride.

The guy at the dealership stated that the new 800 is just as powerful as the older 900, and that I didnt need the 1000. Then again he could have been trying to move his inventory as well.

I normally ride agressive ( not fast ) and take corners hard, with the occasional wheelie now and again, but most of my riding is just that,- riding, for fun.

Opinions, and guidance would be very appreciated.

Thanks guys - John

·
Registered
56 Posts
Johnny Lightning said:
I dont care about cost the difference, at this point it is minimal to me, and with in my budget. The only thing I can compare it to is the Buell's and I know you guys around here seem to hate those, sorry.
If the money doesn't matter to you, more HP = more better in my book.

Anyone know if the 1000 has enough additional weight to cause noticeable handling differences?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'd go for the 1K. It's certainly not overpowered. YOu rode an RC51? I'd think you'd want the power of the 1K.

800 is good. 1000 is better ;D

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Welcome to the DML! [thumbsup]

The HP difference is noticeable, though it won't blow your socks off (not like between an 800 and an s4r or s4rs). It's worth it in my book. But that alone does not seal the deal. There are others: dry clutch, better suspension (adjustable front), better brakes (4 pot) for not that much more $ and will within your budget. Get the 1000.

And don't underestimate the dry-clutch envy you'll suffer down the line if you buy the 800. ;D

Make sure you post pics when you finally pick yours up. ;)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
For the price point the 1k is a better value overall. As spiedy mentioned the 1k bikes have a nubmer of stepped up components over the smaller monsters. YOu would easily spend more than the price difference in the two bikes to upgrade the suspension and brakes on an 800 to what is stock to the 1k.

Go 1k

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think it depends what you want to use your monster for.

The s2r1k is more of a fun bike. I don't own one but after riding one for a short stint, I can't imagine it would be good for anything other than canyon carving and b-road bombing. The suspension is much beefier, the clutch pull is strenuous (compared to the 800) and the super long first gear and mountainous torque mean a super cramped left forearm if you have to ride slow.

The s2r is much more user friendly. Softer suspension, lazy clutch pull, less touchy brakes, etc. You can put-put around town if you need to and still have a spirited ride when you want.

Value for money wise the s2r1k is your choice hands down though--better suspension, better brakes, 15 extra hp and it only costs $1,000 more! Plus, with your riding experience, I can't imagine you'd be satisfied with an 800.

Before you make your final decision, remember that the s2r1k doesn't come in dark---that could be the deciding factor if you are a discerning motorcyclist. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Spidey said:
Welcome to the DML! [thumbsup]

The HP difference is noticeable, though it won't blow your socks off (not like between an 800 and an s4r or s4rs). It's worth it in my book. But that alone does not seal the deal. There are others: dry clutch, better suspension (adjustable front), better brakes (4 pot) for not that much more $ and will within your budget. Get the 1000.

And don't underestimate the dry-clutch envy you'll suffer down the line if you buy the 800. ;D

Make sure you post pics when you finally pick yours up. ;)
+ [thumbsup] also remember that the 800 has 42/15 and 1000 38/15 rear/front sprocket ratio so the felt difference in power delivery is muted by the higher gear ratio. BTW, have both, you will want the 1K.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Welcome! Get the 1000. No doubt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW ;D

[clap] Thank you for the warm welcome and all of the good advice. The poll says hands down that the 1000 seems to be the winner over the 800, for my riding history and style.

There are a couple of different things that I learned here as well.
1)That the 800 didnt have a dry clutch and the 2)suspention and 3)brakes are better on the 1000.
I know there are others but I will learn as time goes on.

Based on everyones comments, I can believe that If I bought the 800 I would probally kick myself in the butt later on for not getting the 1000. Not just for the power difference but the other upgraded items as well.

Thanks a million [thumbsup] and I will post up some pics as soon as I bring it home. ;D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Johnny Lightning said:
WOW ;D

[clap] Thank you for the warm welcome and all of the good advice. The poll says hands down that the 1000 seems to be the winner over the 800, for my riding history and style.

There are a couple of different things that I learned here as well.
1)That the 800 didnt have a dry clutch and the 2)suspention and 3)brakes are better on the 1000.
I know there are others but I will learn as time goes on.

Based on everyones comments, I can believe that If I bought the 800 I would probally kick myself in the butt later on for not getting the 1000. Not just for the power difference but the other upgraded items as well.

Thanks a million [thumbsup] and I will post up some pics as soon as I bring it home. ;D
Make sure that get the sag setup for you. My wife is 120 lbs and her S2R1000 had 41mm of rear sag (definitely soft) when it should be about 30mm. We cranked down on the rear preload till it was in spec and then set the rebound at 6 clicks out. We went in a half line on the front preload and 5 clicks out on rebound. She's loving it now. Once you do the same, so will you! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
476 Posts
This is a great little question - I have just been through the exact problem you went through. I had a M620 and had done heaps to it and wanted a bit more power for riding to work and having fun. I just did the Ducati Tourism in Aust 2000+k's on the 620 and wanted something that could keep up. I liked the S2R 800 and test rode it - I loved it. I was concerned about the heavy clutch of the 1k in traffic and also wether the extra HP was worth it.

In the end I thought that the Dry Clutch, Ajustable front forks, extra HP, better brakes all far outweighed my concern about the heavy clutch.

I bought the new 1k last week and LOVE it. Whats better is that all of my Rizoma gear and other bits and peices fit straight on except the belt cover and a few other bits.

How cool is that - the new bike remides me of my old one but is soooo much more fun to ride!!! The clutch is no issue - a few trips in traffic and I didn't even notice it - But I doo love the Dry Clutch and the POWER.

Glad to see you are about to make the same choice - enjoy! [clap] [clap] [laugh]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.