Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first Ducati, and it should be interesting! It was a 99 750, and has had a 07 695 engine and wiring harness swapped into it. Even though it was inexpensive, I was worried about the engine swap deal, but everything electrical seems to work fine. Runs and rides very well. I'm super excited to fix a couple odds and ends, and start racking up the miles!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have ordered a new front tire, mirrors, a 695 air box with elbows/boots (that will hopefully fit with some finesse), and a taillight lens.

Still need to get oil/filterclutch line.

Some things I’m unsure about:
-There is no switch on the front master cylinder to operate the brake light, and doesn’t seem to be a place for one...
-There is a mystery scuzz all over the engine that looks like it would be oily, but isn’t, and doesn’t want to come off...
-I presume it would be smart to do timing belts and to adjust the valve clearances since there are no service records.
-And the wonky rearset/exhaust/swingarm relationship. I presume something there is/was not the right part for the application but was kept for some reason ($$ I’m sure). The rearsets seem/feel too far out from the frame, yet still just barely touch the exhaust. The exhaust is sandwiched between them and the swingarm, and touches the swing arm. Should be interesting to figure out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice bike. Regarding the brake light switch, there are also switches which are activated by pressure. I've got those on my rear brake after installing new rearsets without room for a mechanical switch.

These simply replace the banjo-bolt connecting the brake line to the master. Make sure you have the right size/pitch.

Your rearsets are a lot further to the back then original, compare the position of the shift lever to the front sprocket cover on this bike and yours:

The front fork seems to be from a 695 as well btw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice bike. Regarding the brake light switch, there are also switches which are activated by pressure. I've got those on my rear brake after installing new rearsets without room for a mechanical switch.

These simply replace the banjo-bolt connecting the brake line to the master. Make sure you have the right size/pitch.

Your rearsets are a lot further to the back then original, compare the position of the shift lever to the front sprocket cover on this bike and yours:

The front fork seems to be from a 695 as well btw.
Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!! Yup, its a frankenstein for sure.

I'm assuming that rearset position was done to fit around the exhaust easily and cheaply. Definitely going to have to make something to relocate them to a better spot. I'm thinking I can get 1.25" forward and down with a somewhat simple mount. That should be just enough to be comfortable for me. Anyone with more than a 30" inseam would not enjoy life on this old girl, as-is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Always always always change belts, oil, and brake and clutch fluid on a new bike. You cant trust anyone and broken belts could nuke your engine

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 97 monster 750 but bought a used low mile 98 900 engine for few hundred. So one day I plan to make mine a sleeper... Keeping carb set ups love how easy all that easy to work on. Have K&N air box delete carbon fiber exhaust slip ons and 6sigma 155 carb jets love it now. Can only imagine.😜

·
Registered
234 Posts
That mystery coating is evil. Mine was rough, but I think that one has it beat. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to hose it down with that stuff.. It's taken a lot of work to get rid of it. I love the 695 motor. It's a shame it only got to be around two years. Get all those little things and the exhaust/footpeg set up sorted out, hopefully it'll be good to go. There is a place for the microswitch. It's just hidden a little more than the clutch. The bracket mounts to the goofy little nut on the pivot pin like the clutch, but the switch is sandwiched in the same notch as the lever instead of underneath. Although I can't tell if you've still got the clutch switch, so you may not be able to reference it. You can get one from Brembo for 25 bucks or so, but you could probably find the whole master used on eBay for about the same price. Just have to make sure it's got the switch. Same master as the S2R, so you can widen your search. Happy Ducati-ing!

·
Registered
156 Posts
-There is a mystery scuzz all over the engine that looks like it would be oily, but isn’t, and doesn’t want to come off...

Try kerosene and a soft bristle brush & lots of clean rags. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That mystery coating is evil. Mine was rough, but I think that one has it beat. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to hose it down with that stuff.. It's taken a lot of work to get rid of it. I love the 695 motor. It's a shame it only got to be around two years. Get all those little things and the exhaust/footpeg set up sorted out, hopefully it'll be good to go. There is a place for the microswitch. It's just hidden a little more than the clutch. The bracket mounts to the goofy little nut on the pivot pin like the clutch, but the switch is sandwiched in the same notch as the lever instead of underneath. Although I can't tell if you've still got the clutch switch, so you may not be able to reference it. You can get one from Brembo for 25 bucks or so, but you could probably find the whole master used on eBay for about the same price. Just have to make sure it's got the switch. Same master as the S2R, so you can widen your search. Happy Ducati-ing!
Well, as it turns out, the mystery scuzz is not really a problem now. After riding the bike a little more, I noticed a few oil leaks. I was prepared to repair a few of them, until I ran into one that was caused by a cracked and poorly welded left side case where the side stand bolts on. I thought about taking the engine apart to repair the case properly and doing a simple rebuild. Instead I found a very low mile replacement engine from a reputable dismantler for a reasonable price. At this point I am almost done fixing all of the little odds and ends that you find when you strip an old bike down. What I have discovered is that e majority of the bike is 695 components, and the arrow cans are from a 696.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's a bummer. I discovered the same crack a couple months ago. It's driving me nuts because I'm a tad "Anal" about things like that. I know it's a weak spot, but I think my son overtightened it. I haven't blamed him of course. But stuff happens.. I know that no worthwhile TIG welder would touch it still assembled, and I'm not up to a full teardown and rebuild this year. So I'm just going to let it ride for now. Pick up a spare 695 or 800 motor and rebuild it at a leisurely pace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts