Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that for 2007 Ducati is stretching the maintenance intervals by 50%, but have they actually changed anything to warrant the increase? Anyone have any info on this? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
329 Posts
High Side,

You've got your info mixed up a bit there. The intervals have NOT been increased by 50%. The original statement by Ducati was that there would be a reduction in cost of servicing Ducatis by UP TO 50%. The maintenance intervals for the newest models have shifted from 6,200 miles to 7,500 miles. Those amounts seem very exact in English measurement, but in the reality of metric it was a nice round 10,000 kilometers, and now it's 12,000 kilometers.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Reduction in cost?! Bullsh*t. I was just quoted almost $1k for my 2nd (7500 mile) service on my '07 695. So does that mean that if my bike was an '06 it would of cost me $2k?!?

·
Registered
241 Posts
There's mixed feelings on the extended service intervals, as some of this is due to improvements in the product, some of this is due to opening up the tolerances for components. I can't remember if it was LT at desmotimes or Chris at ducatitech, but one of them referenced old valve clearance numbers as compared to now with a lot of head scratching about how making the tolerances more sloppy equalled an improvement. I'm inclined to check valves twice as often as suggested if it means I get better performance and longer life in the equipment, but then again that's why I bought a 2-valve in the first place (so I could do it myself).

Ken

p.s. As an aside, one of the things I really enjoy seeing on eBay (and other places) is how people are selling pre-service Ducatis at very specific milages like 5800, 11500, etc. It seems that maybe we'll be seeing them at 7000 and 14500 from now on... [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I get my bike serviced by a Ducati mechanic of 30 odd years who now runs his own little shop and likes to keep things as reasonably cheap for his customers as he can.
After a service including a valve check he tells me not to come back again for another 20,000 kms (12,000 miles)
I've never had a valve check or any other service other than tires before 20, 000 km's and maybe I've been lucky, but I've put over 75,000 km's ( 45,000miles) on the bike without a problem.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
goldenchild said:
Reduction in cost?! Bullsh*t. I was just quoted almost $1k for my 2nd (7500 mile) service on my '07 695. So does that mean that if my bike was an '06 it would of cost me $2k?!?
You are getting hosed. I beleive the first service on the S2R cost somewhere around $550 canuckistan bucks. You need to take your business elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
High_Side said:
You are getting hosed. I beleive the first service on the S2R cost somewhere around $550 canuckistan bucks. You need to take your business elsewhere.
He said that was for his second service which is supposed to be high price.

As we have seen in other threads, people are getting charged all kinds of different prices for their service. Can not stress enough to call around, do not just take it to the first place you see. Find a reputable place then call all the competitors. You can even get a quote from a different shop and get the first shop to lower their price a bit. I was given a early quote when asking about service prices of around $650 for second service, first service was $200, and that is from the dealer.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Make sure you're comparing apples to apples though, are parts included? What if valves need to be adjusted? What items are they actually doing, the checklist or just the bits the mechanic thinks are important?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
EvilSteve said:
Make sure you're comparing apples to apples though, are parts included? What if valves need to be adjusted? What items are they actually doing, the checklist or just the bits the mechanic thinks are important?
The $200 service was the checklist plus the timing belt check, which is no longer on the list. But I agree make sure you are specifying what you want done for the quote.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts