Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Monster 1100S, '94 Kawasaki ZX7, '93 Yamaha FZR 600, '03 Miata (Shinzen), '90 Miata
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never thought I'd fall in love with an air cooled two valve bike, but I did. I've been riding and racing Sport bikes for decades. Was in the market for a 600 to 800 commuter that can still take a corner. I had pretty much settled in on 796 as it ticked all the right boxes, great looks single side swing arm and it really tugged at my heartstrings. The problem was, I couldn't find one. I kept expanding my search looking in different markets, and that's when I stumbled across Nicky (yes I named it after my hero, the last American MotoGP Champion). The 1100 was bigger than I was looking for but a little research said it could get 45+ MPG and it had Ohlins and was covered in carbon fiber. Nicky had 8k miles on him. His second owner had him for five years and had only put on 500 mi. (I did that in the first two weeks).

Here's where I could use a little help. As you probably noticed, it has Termi slip-ons and I'm quit sure nothing was ever done to fix the ECU. So, How do I best fix this? I'm not looking for ultimate power. I'm getting 50 MPG highway and would not like to loose much of that, but would like to smooth out the bottom end.

BoosterPlug
Rapid Bike Easy
PC6
Other?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I believe these photo's were taken by the first owner, but he still looks the same.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - MTS1100S - XT250
290 Posts
Normally the Termi kit comes with an ECU with appropriate maps.

When you turn the ignition what message do you read on the dash?

MONSTER 1100 --> Stock ECU
M1100 RACING --> Termi Slip-on ECU

·
Registered
2010 Monster 1100S, '94 Kawasaki ZX7, '93 Yamaha FZR 600, '03 Miata (Shinzen), '90 Miata
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally the Termi kit comes with an ECU with appropriate maps.

When you turn the ignition what message do you read on the dash?

MONSTER 1100 --> Stock ECU
M1100 RACING --> Termi Slip-on ECU
It says "M1100 RACING". So that kind of complicates things. I know this is a Big Monster, but I find it hard to believe that part throttle response below 4000 RPM it's supposed to be this rough.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - MTS1100S - XT250
290 Posts
It says "M1100 RACING". So that kind of complicates things. I know this is a Big Monster, but I find it hard to believe that part throttle response below 4000 RPM it's supposed to be this rough.
This is the second common complaint after the hard cold start. The fuelling in closed-loop is not good.

There is no booster plug for this bike. If you are DIY inclined there are good instructions to make your own:

Otherwise you can disconnect the O2 sensors and get O2 sensor eliminators to simulate the heater circuit (get rid of the ECU error).

A throttle body out of sync (using air bypass screws) would make the bike run rough at low openings as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the second common complaint after the hard cold start. The fuelling in closed-loop is not good.

There is no booster plug for this bike. If you are DIY inclined there are good instructions to make your own:

Otherwise you can disconnect the O2 sensors and get O2 sensor eliminators to simulate the heater circuit (get rid of the ECU error).

A throttle body out of sync (using air bypass screws) would make the bike run rough at low openings as well.
Thanks for the info. I'll read up on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts