Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my introduction thread eluded to, I finally pulled the trigger on a bike. I've always loved Ducati Monsters and recently picked up a 2002 M620. I have never ridden before and will be taking the MSF course as soon as I can.

Sorry in advance for all the noob questions...

There as several things that I'd like to do, in order to get my bike road worthy. One of the things that the previous owner mentioned that I should do is adjust the chain tension. I am very mechanically inclined, though I have never worked on a bike. Is this something that I can do by myself, or is this something I should take to a shop to do? any recommendations on local shops?

Also, there is a problem with the front pegs, they are cheap ebay pegs. Any recommendations on where/what to get as replacements?

Lastly, there is a tear in the seat, I wondering if I should replace the whole seat, or just get it reupholstered.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is this something that I can do by myself, or is this something I should take to a shop to do? any recommendations on local shops?

Also, there is a problem with the front pegs, they are cheap ebay pegs. Any recommendations on where/what to get as replacements?

Lastly, there is a tear in the seat, I wondering if I should replace the whole seat, or just get it reupholstered.
Congrats on getting your license and on the new bike, it's a life-altering experience! Way to go!

You can absolutely do your own chain maintenance, and I'll tell you why you should do it - it puts your face close to the tire for increased inspection. I clean/lube my chain every 300-500 miles, and I can't tell you how many times I've caught a staple or nail in the tire simply from putting my hand on it to turn the wheel while applying chain lube. You really can't inspect your tires enough. Plus it's really simple maintenance to adjust your chain and make sure it's in tip top shape.

Motowheels is a good source for parts, along with CNC Racing (easier on the wallet too).

As for the seat, hard to say without seeing it. You could probably get a good used seat for that particular bike for the cost of having it reupholstered. I would look to Ebay, good source for used parts.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes man! Ride safe!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

It looks like the the chain will need replacing, it is extremely loose and I cannot move the wheel any further back. Adjusting it is one thing, but I'd like a pro to install a new one. Any recommendations on where to take my bike in the area? Has anyone gone to Battley for service?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I've used Richmond Ducati for service before, and didn't have any issues. Been about 6 years since that though.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
After your new chain has been ridden a while you'll probably have to adjust it a couple of times because it can stretch, so keep an eye on it every couple hundred miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts