Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought a set of Rizoma clipons and I'm excited to install my first of many winter projects ;D. I wanted to do this one myself so I could say "I" did it. I mean what's the point of a mod if I pay the dealer to do it right. ::)

Here's the problem, I'm not even sure where to begin. How do I get all the old stuff off the bar? I mean the brake and clutch assembly look simple enough just two allen wrench bolts, but I can't even tell how the throttle attaches. Not to mention the grips, how do you get those off?

I really hate to pay the dealer $120, but I'd hate even more to start taking the thing apart, not being able to figure it out, and having to trailer the bike down to the shop.

Any suggestions on where to begin.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Re: New Clipons Installation question

spray some windex underneath the grips to slide them off. as for the controls, just make sure you don't flip your reservoirs over and let air in the lines. it's really not that bad. just take your time. as for putting the grips on the new bars, use hairspray.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

unrazzo said:
Show us some pics when you're done!
I'm taking step by step pictures of the whole process and plan on posting it when I'm finished. The one thing I can't figure out is I keep reading about drilling the bars but I can't figure out why I'd do that. None of my wires now run through the bars?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts

surfs1st said:
I'm taking step by step pictures of the whole process and plan on posting it when I'm finished. The one thing I can't figure out is I keep reading about drilling the bars but I can't figure out why I'd do that. None of my wires now run through the bars?
as posted they hold the switch assemblies in place. you can either drill holes in the bars or dremel off the "nubs". have fun and enjoy your new set-up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well, I'm stuck. I hate to do it especially on my first significant mod, but I'm outta my league here. This installation has been a disaster. Finally got the triple and the clip-ons attached to the bike with minimal instructions from the manufacturer but everything else has gone horribly wrong.

There is really not enough space on the bar to attach the coffin reservoirs, and because of the cables they are forced to sit at a less than desirable angle. The stock mirrors are now totally worthless (was going to replace anyway) being moved so far inside on the bars that you couldn't possibly see anything except your rib cage. The only real solution I see is changing out the coffin reservoirs for fluid tanks something that is well beyond my ability and will add a couple of hundred dollars to purchase new brake/clutch master cylinders.

All in all I'm thinking of undoing this mod and going back to the stock handlebars. Because of the way the clips-ons attach there is almost no difference in riding position. Yeah it looks better than stock, but not enough so to justify the expense of the other mods that are now needed to accommodate them.

·
Registered
474 Posts

yeah, dont stress surfs1st!

its all a little confussing at first, I know. I'm in the process of installing CycleCat clipons at the moment.

Things dont go back on the way they came off. You need to relocate cables and rearrange the setup.

Like unrazzo said, Post some pics..... we might be able help guide you thru it :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well I made it a little farther this afternoon. I got the reservoir's installed and bled the lines (don't ask). I'm almost tempted to order a set of CRG levers while I'm doing this because I'm not EVER doing this mod again and they would never be any easier time to install.

My next problem is the actual bar and mounting all the switches back. The clip-ons get substantially thicker the closer you get to the triple. Unfortunately I need to mount two switches in that area. I burned out two drill bits trying to get a decent sized hole before I called it quits for the evening. Didn't even make a dent :mad:. Figured I'd head to the hardware store on the way home tomorrow and see if I can't find some sort of industrial drill bit. I swear the thing must be made out of Adamantium. Any one else run into this problem? Solution?

·
Registered
145 Posts

So you dumped the brake resevoir huh...been there.

Sounds like you are using a wood bit maybe? Make sure you are using a metal bit and that the drill is spinning fast enough (if you are using a cordless drill if might not be spinning fast enough). OR you would not be the only person to have the drill spinning in the wrong direction. ;D

Hang in there, sounds like you are almost there.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts

coffin reservoirs need some spacers/extensions. i was lucky enough to have the other version. as for the switch assemblies, shave the nubs as i posted earlier. no muss, no fuss.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yukio said:
ya man that looks great..got cycle cats on the way for my 620...you didnt want to go under the triple huh?
Wasn't looking for anything really radical in the riding position, but wanted something sportier to put a little more weight forward, so I went on top. I went back and forth for awhile on that decision believe you me. ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts