Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm running out of adjustment on my chain. Do I need to buy new sprockets with a new chain or is a new chain on its own ok? How can I tell if the sprockets need replacing?
As a side note, O-ring or X-ring?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno how old it is, it was on when i got the bike about 9 months ago.
Ps I am pretty poor at the mo.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Post photo's of your sprockets... I don't always change sprockets with my chain (especially when I buy a bike off someone who hasn't looked after their chain and it's gone prematurely).

If they are one their way out however, you'll screw a new chain pretty quickly.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
sjjkennedy said:
Post photo's of your sprockets... I don't always change sprockets with my chain
+1, I almost always go 2 chains to a pair of sprockets - I seem to get maybe 15-20% less mileage out of the second chain, so the usual advice about old sprockets prematurely wearing chains is definitely true, just not quite as serious as some people make it appear... (I have tried a third chain on old sprockets ones, and it was going bad much more quickly, probably only 50% of the mileage of a new chain nw sprocket combo).

I suppose I should mention I always run steel sprockets (OEM Ducati ones on the Monster, aftermarket steel ones on the Honda), and I buy good (but not the best/most expensive, think DID VM chains, not ERVs) brand name (RK or DID) chains. (I once got a "good deal" on a Spanish "Isis" branded o-ring chain, it died and took out the sprockets in under 6000km, I usually get 40,000km out of a RK or DID chain on that bike!)

big

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I'll try to get some pics.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good advice here re chain quality. On my 900 I buy DID chains, a snap can do a massive amount of irreparable damage to your crank case.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Get the rear wheel off of the ground and rotate it both forward and backward. If you can hear the difference, usually more noise when rotating backward, the sprocket should be replaced. The sound indicates that the teeth are somewhat bent.

You would have to have some really tough sprockets to not be damaged by a chain that has stretched so far that it is out of the adjustment range.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
As everyone else has said, sprockets should be checked, and replaced as necessary. This often is the case if it's a bike that wasn't taken care of properly. Still don't just replace sprockets just because you're replacing the chain, that'd just be throwing money down the garbage.

Justin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts