Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I should do with new CF to minimize fading and help with the maintaining it? Should I clear coat them?
Thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey! What's the record for the most Views of a post without getting a Reply? ???

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
OK.. the record must be 83.

I don't have a 'real' answer.. but I'm going to guess that the UV rays in sunlight are what breaks down the polymers in the coating (resin) and turn it yellowish, or opaque..

so anything that blocks the UV. I'm not sure if there are any good car waxes out there that do this.. you'd think there would be.. If a clearcoat will protect against the UV, that might work too

don't use sunscreen... unless it's SPF 40 and above... ;D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I use H*nda cleaner/wax. It says "UV protection" on the can, but I have to admit, my c/f pipes aren't as nice as they used to be.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
CF fades due to 2 factors - sun and heat. Clear coating will help the longevity of the CF. If the resin has sealed all the holes, I've seen some success with home-sprayed clearcoats. On CF with poor quality resin processing the process is more difficult and a home attempt to clear coat can ruin the CF. I rely on manufacturers who go a bit further to ensure their CF is high quality, such as Carbon Dream and QB Carbon. DP stuff is pretty mediocre. 8)

LT

M

·
0 Posts
I agree with LT except for I think QB is very fragile and heavy CF (It's wet lay-up).

The finish on DP supplied by MS production is usually very mediocre, but it is pre-preg CF that is lighter and much stronger due to the even application of resin and it's an autoclaved product.

CM composites who supplies DP (and motowheels) has a very nice finish.

I use Plexus to clean our CF bikes--I'm not sure if it does much to protect from UV. My clearcoated fender looks new compared to the non clearcoated pieces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts