Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alas, it is time for me to let go of the TT. She provided me with a few years of fun and enjoyment in the sun, but I bought her before I rode. Now that I ride in any remote semblance of fair weather (basically anything above 50, rain or shine, below that it depends on desperation), it doesn't make any sense for me to keep a roadster.

When I was car shopping the last time, I really wanted an STi, but it was their first production year and there were no used cars on the market. It was kind of funny, because Liam and I were just discussing my getting rid of the TT the day before our good friend told us he was selling his STi. So within a couple of weeks, we shook on a good price and now I have it.

For anyone who has never had the pleasure of driving this beast of a machine, it is by far the most bang for the buck. It is among the highest hp/L production cars out there. When you stomp on it, your head gets slammed back into the head restraint. Ok, so it has the shopping cart wing, but it serves its purpose. It has amazing handling at high speeds and there is no floatiness at all. It is just mad amounts of silly fun to drive.

I was trying to decide on what plate to get for it. I tried a few, but then it dawned on me, and this one is available:

DUC SUB

·
Registered
124 Posts
congrats. Glad to see you finally picked it up.

Now, where are our pics?

The only thing that shopping cart handle does is impede rear view and give a big handle to open the trunk with. :p But, it does look better than without.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
From a TT to an STi...you won't be disappointed. What color is it? I have a WRB 02 bugeye with about 102k on the odo. Subies are tons of fun. Looks like we have another thing in common. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
318 Posts
Although I have to admit I'm rolling a CR-V these days, I grew up in a Subie household, and even learned to drive (stick, no less) on a '86 GL wagon. Wish I could have convinced the S.O. that a 2.5 GT wagon was in the cards as a kid-hauler... maybe next time. Congrats on your new ride!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What other color do they make other than blue? I love it how all the STi symbols are in PINK.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I sat in the 2007 Sti WRx yesterday at the auto show... Sitting still, the car looks decent from the curb, but upon opening the driver side door and checking on the interior, I'll pass. It's super cheap interior that kills the car and its obvious they put all the dollars for the car in the motor and suspension

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, definitely the Audi is a luxury car and the Subaru is far from it. Nobody made any claims about the STi being a luxury car or being "pretty". You pay for what you get: just great engineering.

For my personal sense of what is aesthetically pleasing and what is not, I like the interior. There are little touches that make the 2005 nice enough for me.

Actually, come to think of it, Subaru did at one time at least make a luxury sportscar. I don't remember what it was called, but when I was in college in Detroit, all my Arab friends talked about this amazing car Subaru made and marketed in the Middle East. It was the same kind of beast of a car, but with all the luxury appointments that jacked the price up from $30k to $70k.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My dad's got a Subie SVX. It was designed by a former Ferrari desginer. But, wasn't a $70K car. I think they were ~$45K.

Lots of fun. Boxer 6 engine. Better drag coefficent than any car of the time (.29 I believe). Has those weird half windows. Only came as an auto tough. It was a grand touring car... Blast to drive.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!....is very nice indeed!

Emily said:
Ok, so it has the shopping cart wing, but it serves its purpose.
it does?...please enlighten me!

slowpoke13 said:
The only thing that shopping cart handle does is impede rear view and give a big handle to open the trunk with. But, it does look better than without.
those are about the only things I can say that wing does under triple digits...it is too far from the decklid and too big to provide any beneficial drag or push under 100MPH....and the with or without thing is debateable...I personally if I were to own one would be looking to go without and have more of a sleeper!

RogueMnstr said:
a 2.5 GT wagon
now THAT is a sleeper...and cheap on the insurance too...you can tune them to be an STI without the look and get a whole lot more comfort too!!!

slowpoke13 said:
a Subie SVX. It was designed by a former Ferrari desginer. But, wasn't a $70K car. I think they were ~$45K.
I was a car salesman at a Subie dealer back when the SVX's came out (this was before I realized I had a moral or few!) and they came in at about $31K.....then after the realization of slow sales and with such a great looking and performing car (especially compared to the former XT they were marketing) they released the cheaper 2.2 variants....they came in starting at around $25K and made 2 package levels above base that made for a price escalation up to $36K between base and top of the line.

G

·
zooom said:
those are about the only things I can say that wing does under triple digits...it is too far from the decklid and too big to provide any beneficial drag or push under 100MPH
Well 2 things, one you obobiously haven't driven the car to say under 100mph. The car is fast, fast like a motorcycle so 100+ is not that big a deal. And 2, the wing on the STI is one of the few production cars (+ the Mitsu Evo) that actually has a wing on it that is FAR enough away from the car's slip stream to be in clean air so that it can function. Anything 12 inches or closer is purely for show as it will get no clean air over it so will have no areodynamic affect. If you doubt me, look at a Ferrai F40 or any prototype racecar such as F1 car.

I personally think the car is awesome and a license killer, but I also think the wing is butt ugly but I know why its there and glad for what it provides.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Liam said:
Well 2 things, one you obobiously haven't driven the car to say under 100mph. The car is fast, fast like a motorcycle so 100+ is not that big a deal. And 2, the wing on the STI is one of the few production cars (+ the Mitsu Evo) that actually has a wing on it that is FAR enough away from the car's slip stream to be in clean air so that it can function. Anything 12 inches or closer is purely for show as it will get no clean air over it so will have no areodynamic affect. If you doubt me, look at a Ferrai F40 or any prototype racecar such as F1 car.
you are right...I haven't driven one....driven against one...but not driven one personally...and I am not saying it isn't a fast car...I know it is fast (with a driver that knows what they are doing of course!)...and I know that it and the Evo are pretty much the only production cars with a big fatty wing on it and I also know the purpose of getting a big wing on it and why...whether it is an F40 or an STI or an Evo...or some other car that is hopped up or riced out with a big fatty wing on it....what I said is that you don't really get any of the benefits of what a wing does...especially one that high up and that lenth and width...until you are going 100MPH or faster...there simply isn't enough wind to affect and grab the surface area to create the downforce a wing is supposed to create in order to help stabilize the vehicle!...and as far as your statement about wings that are 12 inches or closer being for show only....you might want to rethink that statement....and I can give you 2 specific manufacturers that will give you the best exampling of exactly the opposite of what you are saying....the VW Corrado's automatically raising spoiler at 45MPH gives approximately 125lbs of downforce to the rear end....the VW Beetle Turbo spoiler at the top of the rear vision glass gives approximately 165lbs of downforce to the rear end when it raises as about 45MPH automatically....and well...the other manufacturer...I don't have specs on for MPH's and pounds of downforce...but Porsche is all I have to say...and the Germans are VERY mathematical in how they engineer those items on their vehicles!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Emily said:
Actually, come to think of it, Subaru did at one time at least make a luxury sportscar. I don't remember what it was called, but when I was in college in Detroit, all my Arab friends talked about this amazing car Subaru made and marketed in the Middle East. It was the same kind of beast of a car, but with all the luxury appointments that jacked the price up from $30k to $70k.

I believe you're talking about the SVX, designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro. An italian, of course!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Emily! Welcome to the Subie family. I have 2 myself and love them to death.

I've got an 06 STI and an 02 WRX. Theres bunch of good forums but my favorites are www.iwsti.com for the sti and www.nasioc.com for the sti and everything else subaru.

-Leon

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm no stranger to Subarus. This is actually my third. [thumbsup] And, it's good to be back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts