Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
The F800 bikes look pretty cool. I sat on one at the IMS here in December and it seemed like a nice bike. May have to go test ride one when they come out! ;D

·
Registered
326 Posts
No coincidence. The F800s are good bikes. Small, quick, and loaded with features. The bikes have been available in Europe for a year and the only real complaint has been some gearbox clunkiness. I think these bikes will appeal to a lot of people.

Not as sexy as the monster although more modern in appearance. The performance, price range, and features will make the bike appealing. The availability of ABS, Heated Grips, luggage, etc., etc. add to the appeal for some. The ability to leave these items off appeal to others. Add in BMW's preceived quality and 3 year 36,000 mile warrantee and I can see a lot of new and born again riders being attracted.

I have to admit I sat on these bikes at IMA and the F800ST looks like a very capable solo touring mount. I love my big R1200GS and I love my S2R but if I had to give them up for one do-it-all bike the F800ST looks very capable.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I have been intrigued by the new BMW lineup. I like the 800 parallel twin with the dummy con rod to balance it out and the belt drive with SSS. But then they throw crappy suspension on it and in typical BMW fashion, they make it too heavy and too weak. The new R1200S took a step in the right direction, but they still need to put their bikes on a diet. Anyone want to get a 600 lb bike sideways in the dirt?

·
Registered
30 Posts
BMW do make some cool bikes these days.
I "chased" a K1200R down the straight at Phillip Island on my '98 R1 and couldn't catch it. I blasted past him when he braked waaaay early for turn 1, turns out the rider wasn't too keen to throw his expensive toy into corners real quick.
I would love to ride one of these to see what it can do.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Monstrously exciting, not at all a coincidence methinks.

I like the non-touring BMWs a lot actually. All very different from the norm.
Those new 800s look nice, especially what Christian Pfieffer can do with one.
I also really like the Rockster, but realized it wouldn't have been the best 1st bike for me (a bit $$ for 1st bike).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Don't like that F800 at all. Reminds me of that mid 80s Katana styling. Looked bad then, looks bad now. All the BMWs just look to long and soft to me.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The thing about BMW motorcycles is that they are more than the sum of their parts and more that what is on a spec sheet. My wife's F650CS is not the sexiest or fastest bike she has owned but she ride more miles per year than she put on all of her previous bikes combined. That's gotta count for something.

·
Registered
61 Posts
bradman said:
The BMW website has their new 800cc middle-weight bikes listed...note how they call them "monstrously exciting"..."Monstrously"???...a coincidence?...I don't think so! Still, the new bikes do look pretty sweet.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/group.jsp?g=sport
I was on their site just yesterday looking for some riding pants and saw the "monstrously exciting" description and had the same thought. I laughed and thought of it as a compliment.
Have to agree with bradman, it is sweet looking, but its no MONSTA!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
sconly said:
I am not a parallel twin fan so on that note im out of this thread reminds me too much of an EX series Ninja
What charateristics turn you off to the parallel twin? I've never ridden one, so just curious.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
JJGeo said:
What charateristics turn you off to the parallel twin? I've never ridden one, so just curious.
+1

I've ridden a Ducati parallel twin and it was fine.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I've lusted that F800 since I saw it..ummm...way early last year in Bike, the mag. I just mentioned it and mrstsd blocked me from IM chat. ::) ::) ::) [laugh]

·
Registered
259 Posts
/flame suit on

I actually have a F800ST as my wallpaper right now. I am going to check it out at the IMS show next month in Chicago (I'm pretty sure it will be there), but I was bummed to find out how expensive it will be. Throw the ABS and a few other must-haves on this bike and it's as much as a FJR1300A. I like the idea of a light and nimble sport tourer, but for the price the Yamaha is A LOT more bike for the money. I know, it's kinda apples and oranges, since the 1300 is probably 100+lbs heavier, but the price just doesn't make sense to me.

The new Tiger almost splits the difference between the two, and seems like a better value than the BMW. Still, I do like the bikes BMW is making nowadays, but IMO the price premium is way more out of line than Ducati's pricing, for example.

I need to win the lottery so I can buy a place with a garage and fill it with bikes!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I rode a Thai guys new yellow BMW 800 sport and it was excellent, hanling not Ducati standrd but OK , with a remus can it souded horny ,plenty of power ,
i would happily own one if they did a naked version .
Very easy for maintainance and service , engine is a rotax design so it will be bullet proof.
jerry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts