Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone has some insight on this:
I bought a new (hold over) Monster 900. It ran beautifully for the first day. The second day it wouldn't start. It was stalling, bucking, popping, and when it did start I had to rev the throttle to keep it going. Once it warmed up (10 min) it was fine. Next day started up fine then about 20 minutes into the ride it started popping, bucking and losing power again. I was on the highway when it started once and could only stay at 45mph untill I could get off. It seemed to be running with restricted fuel, or on one cylinder or intermittant sprark, . . .something. This continuted to get worse. I could not figure any pattern. Sometimes when it was cold, sometimes when it was warm, sometimes it would go from fine to bad to fine again all within 10 minutes.

I took it back to the dealer after a week. It was running fine when I got there so they blew me off, saying it just needed to be broken in, come back with 600 miles on it. So I tried to work it out for another week, and it just got worse. Now the dealer has been "working" on it for 3 weeks. I don't think they have clue. And personally are really starting to get me riled up about this.

Any Ideas, suggestions, leads, would be greatly appreciated. I fell in love with it on the first day and just wish I could have it back.

Thanks
-Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought of all that. It had never had gas in it until I bought it. And I made sure fuel lines weren't pinched. Now I'm thinking maybe a fuel filter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well when you get it back and it still doesn't run right (from the sound of your dealer's attitude that'll probably be the case) here's a thought.....when you are riding, if it starts spazzing out (technical term) again....

pull over after struggling onward a mile or 3 and take your conveniently pocketed spark plug wrench and yank the plugs....see if either one or both of them are wet (ignition issue), or conversely extremely dry, light colored (and fuel starved).

This might point you to either a fuel starvation issue or an electrical malfunction dilemma.

The fact that you said it is popping leads me to think you might be in intermittant spark mode...and loading up a cylinder with fuel which eventually ignites loudly when the spark decides to visit the plug...which cause could be anything from a defective ignition switch (sometimes it clicks happily sometimes not) to faulty ignition modules etc.

A sticky valve could also create the sort of joys you are experiencing but I have not come across a lot of complaints in that category when it comes to the 2V motor.

Good luck and if you get a final corrective diagnosis please share it with the community here. Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went in to the shop today. Everyhting that they had looked at was fuel flow oriented. I mentioned the ignition suggestion, maybe it was no spark, mis-timed spark, etc. This was something they had never thought of.

After listening to the bike again, the pop is definately coming from the intake/air box area.

I'm a first time Ducati owner, and I'm really trying not to get a bad impression over this but it is tough.

When/if we figure out what the problem is I will be sure to post and hopefully help someone else out.
-Dave

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
when this is all happening, would you describe the bike as if it's sucking in a lot of air, but probably not delivering gas to the engine?

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Check for cracked fuel lines (inside the tank). This happened to me the day I bought my bike. The dealer did a test ride around the block; it ran fine.

I put my jacket, helmet, gloves on...the bast*rd would barely start, and then it would only kinda run tickling the throttle.

Had to call for a ride home. Really a bummer after waiting six months for delivery. The mechanic said this was fairly common in older bikes, but not alltogher unheard of in a new bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solution found (I hope)!

It seems that because it is a 2001. There had never been any gas in it until i bought it but still it had sat for so long, rust had developed in the bottom of the tank. Of course the flakes would gum up the works from time to time and cause my problem. Some how the shop tried to make it sound like it was MY fault, even though I only had it for one day before it started acting up. Well, the "nice" guys that they are, they will cover it under warranty. New tank is on order. So hopefully I'll have it back soon.

I suggested the fuel filter when I first took it in, I wonder why it took 3 weeks to figure this out.

Thanks for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to give the shop guys a break, it is really beyond normal thinking to expect to find rust in a brand new tank, even a two year old brand new tank. Life is full of surprises. Nonetheless, three weeks of head scratching is unacceptable no matter how you cut it. And if you're being treated like s*&! then take it elsewhere. Good luck and long live your Monster!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New update,
After and email to Ducati and a letter to the owner of the shop to get things moving. My bike was finally "fixed". I went to pick it up and the salesman had installed complementry frame sliders (I don't know if I like the look, but it's the thought that counts). He also sold me some billet bar end mirrors a a HUGE discount.

Now the bad news, after about 10 miles on the ride home, the bike started acting up again, same exact as it did before. So I limped it back to the shop. The owner promised to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible even if it ment taking parts off showroom bikes. Nice gesture, I don't know how applicable it really is.

So after a new tank, and gaskets etc. Still the same problem. And I don't have a bike for the Myrtle fall rally this weekend, And I have a horrible cold. This weekend just needs to hurry up and end.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tell them you want mudflaps and chrome curb feelers! Sounds like you need a new tech to look at it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally an end to this madness!

They delivered the bike to me this afternoon. I put 25 miles on without any problem. So I think this is it.

The Electronic controls for the fuel injection was bad. They actually took the ECU out of the parts manager's bike and put it in mine. Now the bike runs fine. They put mine in the managers bike and it runs like mine used to. Sounds like the problem is solved. Now the manager doesn't have a functioning bike untill they can get a new ECU in. I have been looking all over this list and I have not seen anything anywhere about a faulty ECU. Well there is a first for everything.

So now all I have to do is finnish breaking it in and find myself some new pipes.

Thanks for everyone's help

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think chaf suggested that a while back in this thread... anyway, that's how my bike ran when i first got my power commander iii with some buggered up firmware.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts