Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me anyway. ;D

Last weekend i took a demo ride on an ST3s (great chassis) and the S4R Testaretta (great engine). One weekend and a lot of web surfing in between, i'm now the owner of an 2002 ST4s. I found this beauty at BWM-Ducati of Charlotte (NC). For the life of me i cant figure out why Ducati stopped making this bike. I know all the press about how much more user freindly the ST3 is, but daaayammm, that 996 lump is the bomb!

My wife and i left home Saturday at 2:30am. We got to Matthews, NC dealership at 11:30am. By 12:30 we were on our way to a second stop in Fayettesville to pick up a car load of Polish pottery for my wife. We holed up at the Rocky Mount Hampton Inn for the night and shoved off for the rest of the trip. I got home today at 4pm. Of course once we got back in MD, i hit some of my favorite back roads leading to the house. Sore butt and wrists be dammed! The last hour was the best part of the trip!

The ride back home, all 599 miles, was sweet. Even with the high winds all weekend, the bike was rock solid. I cant say enough positive things about the ST. It's a great bike and i'm glad i found one is such great condition.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
Yeah. The STs are the shizzle. I was going to buy an ST down in NM but the seller backed out on me ( ;) Count Desmo). But then I don't blame him as they are an awesome mount.

But I will own one. Seen too many good reviews and enjoyed the short time I got to borrow one from a friend up in SD.

Thinking that my second job funds are going to go strictly into the bank for picking up an ST4s or ST3s in the spring/earlier summer.

Sweet lookin ride mano.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
NICE!! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

They are the bomb! I chose mine in the stealth color.

I spy that yours has the touring fairing & screen. How did you like it vs the ST3 windscreen?

Lights suck, eh? That's my only complaint about this bike.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
As far as sport/tourers go, this thing is like a Ferrari with trunk space. Can you even begin to imagine comparing this thing to a Gold Wing.

Beautiful!

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to be honest and say i dont know yet if the screen is better. The crosswinds today and yesterday were horrible. I afraid i wasnt on the ST3 long enough to notice which is better. But comming from the bikini faring on the Monster, anything is an improvement. Everything they say about speed perception is true with the ST. I was doing 75 most of the way up I-95. I hardly noticed. In 6th gear, at 70 the bike is running at 4500 rpm. That seems to be a sweet spot for cruising with this bike.

I have a few mods planned for this bike. I never did much to the M620, as i was sure i was moving up the Ducati food chain. So far what the previous owner's done is great. The Arrows cans are the ****! The 'pompone' thing sounds really great. Idling in neutral at a stop light with those cans thumping and the dry clutch clanging is a real treat for me. And for everyone around me too. >:D

The tires are Michelin Pilot Powers. Everything they say about them is true. There is also an adjustable steering dampner installed too. It's almost impossible to upset the ST's chassis. The fully adjustable Showa fork and Ohlins shock are light years ahead of the M620's non adjustable suspension. I was taking curves on my back road corse much faster than i felt comfortable doing on the 620. And i havent even set it up proper yet.

Back to that screen. Theres a carbon fiber dash behind it. Its looks great. I think i like the older style analog gauges better than the new Multistrada dash thats on the ST3. I looks more sporting to me. Heres a pic of the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for the mods...

First thing tommorow, im ording a Sargent seat. My ass hurt. I was spoiled by the DP Gel seat on the monster. Does Ducati have the same for the ST? I didnt see one on the website.

2nd mod is going to be a clutch slave cyclinder. The pull is murder in stop and go traffic. And i hit it today at the Potomac River Bridge on Rt-301. Someone blew a tire and had the bridge blocked to one lane.

3rd mod is going to be a Desmo Times steering head nut so i can mount my RAM mount so i can use my Garmin Legend C GPS with the ST. With the monster bars it was a no brainer. With clipons, not so easy...

4th mod - Open clutch cover and some clutch bling. Gotta get the "chronic masturbator with a pocketfull of change" thing going on.

5th mod - Get that sidestand thing taken care of. No start in neutral with the stand down? I get the in-gear lock out thing, but WTF?

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Blueshark928 said:
3rd mod is going to be a Desmo Times steering head nut so i can mount my RAM mount so i can use my Garmin Legend C GPS with the ST. With the monster bars it was a no brainer. With clipons, not so easy...
Check out a pic of my setup here. The 2002 top triple has a screw hidden in the middle of the front face. [thumbsup]

I mean, by all means, go the desmotimes route if you want but I thought I'd tell ya about your other option... ;)

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Supero100 said:
Check out a pic of my setup here. The 2002 top triple has a screw hidden in the middle of the front face. [thumbsup]

I mean, by all means, go the desmotimes route if you want but I thought I'd tell ya about your other option... ;)
Hmmmm. I didnt know that! Thanks for that tip. the local Bass Pro sells RAM stuff. Looks like Mod#3 just became mod #1.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
ZLTFUL said:
Yeah. The STs are the shizzle. I was going to buy an ST down in NM but the seller backed out on me ( ;) Count Desmo). But then I don't blame him as they are an awesome mount.
Your killin' me Ryan! Actually, at the time I couldn't part with the bike. I'm about to put it up for sale again as soon as I get it back from the dealer (18K service, new chain/sprockets) though I admit I'm reluctant to do it.

The Mrs. will no longer ride so it's time for something else.

BlueShark--Congrats on a great machine!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, amigo. A riding buddy of mine has an ST4s just like yours, and we swap bikes occasionally. I'm always amazed at how fast and agile that bike is. 8)

My buddy's ST4s has a Corbin seat, and it's very comfortable. Also has a very nice passenger backrest that is easily removable. Might be worth lookin' into if you're shopping for a new seat.

Enjoy the new bike! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Blueshark928 said:
As for the mods...

First thing tommorow, im ording a Sargent seat. My ass hurt. I was spoiled by the DP Gel seat on the monster. Does Ducati have the same for the ST? I didnt see one on the website.

5th mod - Get that sidestand thing taken care of. No start in neutral with the stand down? I get the in-gear lock out thing, but WTF?
Yes, there's a DP comfort seat for the ST. It doesn't look like the Monster seat as the gel pads are under the cover.

Check to see if there is a threaded hole in the front center of your top triple. There very well may be and then you can just mount the RAM mount with the 45 degree extension and 9mm hole to it with a couple of washers. I had an S4 triple top on my Monster (same as ST4) and it worked and looked great.

Never mind the no start in neutral, I hope you don't have the "suicide stand". [laugh]

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
ducatania said:
Check to see if there is a threaded hole in the front center of your top triple.
Deja vu? ;)

Blueshark928 said:
Let the credit card meltdown begin.
Well, since *THAT'S* your approach...

www.ducatidesigns.com

And, uh, I haven't put my bike away, despite the frigid nearly november temps of Maine... due in large part to... my heated grips.

I'm willing to add some heat to your meltdown!! ;D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
in 2004, the ST4S came with a better seat as a standard part. Many may have replaced those with aftermarket Corbin and Sargent and maybe available. I got one and they are an improvement over 2002 stock seat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts