Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

New Bike--Cold Weather Riding

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  jbrizz 
#1 ·
Hi all. Picked up my new 02 750 on Thursday night here in NJ. Rode the thing in 5 degree weather on Saturday and 24 on Sunday. My wife and my friends think i'm nuts. After 5 degrees F , 24 seems warm. Love the bike...can't wait to ride in somewhat nice weather! Bike is a dark and stock right now...I'm trying to get some ideas about mods on here.

The kickstand kill switch is killing me and I think i'm going to go for different cans and a fairing at some point. May paint the thing red too....have to think about that.

So far I'm way impressed with the acceleration, the brakes and cornering of the Duc. I've been riding a 600cc dual sport and it pulls good wheelies but that is about it...lol.

#3 ·
One of the first mods you could do is the evolution bypass switch that bypasses the kill switch so you can have the bike warming up with the sidestand down in neutral...

#4 ·
One of the first mods you could do is the evolution bypass switch that bypasses the kill switch so you can have the bike warming up with the sidestand down in neutral...
So the kickstand switch kills even when in nuetral ?? That sucks ! How many models is this true for ?

#8 ·
So the kickstand switch kills even when in nuetral ?? That sucks ! How many models is this true for ?
I think that they just fixed that last year, so `00-`02. Before that they had a kickstand that flipped up as soon as you took the weight off of it. That sucked too, and there's a special bolt that fixes that.

--Fillmore

#9 ·
Hi all..ordered the kickstand bypass thing from evoluzione. Thanks for the info. Got 5 inches of snow here...and it is 8 degrees F right now...so I won't be riding for a while.

I did take the cover off my bike last night and look at it...lol.

Joe

#10 ·
Unless evoluzione changed them, the directions for the bypass are incorrect for a 2002 model. I got mine and had a confused look on my face while I installed it. If I remember correctly, it says to cut a wire, then splice that same wire (slightly different config than older models). Just trace the wires while you're doing it and it'll make sense.

FYI: the directions from evoluzione for the spark plug wires were wrong for 2002 models as well, even though they said "2002" on them.

#11 ·
I just gotta comment on the bypass. A simple jumper is so easy and cheap. Granted there is no protection for the stand down drive off but I've been riding for 39 years, all my current bikes and all my old bikes never had such a device. You just learn to put the stand up, just like turning fuel on and off.

That was the 2nd mod I did to my Duc, first being dumping the big back plate holder and fabbing my own little AL job, and 3rd being ditching all the reflectors.

#12 ·
Turning fuel on and off? Huh? This is my first bike with fuel injection so I had to get used to not having to do that. I have on more than one occasion forgot to turn the fuel on with my older bikes and got about a half mile down the road and thought "wow I wonder what is wrong".

I thought I'd go with the bypass because just down my driveway if i don't make the left hand turn, I'll drive right into my neighbors pick up truck...lol.

How do people add lists of bikes to the bottom of their posts? Up to 14 degrees here. If it cracks 20 and the ice in my driveway melts...I'm going for a ride tomorrow!

Thanks all more more info!

#13 ·
How do people add lists of bikes to the bottom of their posts?
Click 'Profile' at the top of the page and enter the info in the Signature textbox.

RE: Kickstand bypass - as mentioned before, there is no splicing required for the '02. You will also be left with 2 extra pieces when the install is finished.
http://www.evoluzione.net/downloads/80024_instructions.pdf

G
#14 ·
Use the kit!!! I have heard to many stories about leaving the kickstand down, only to find out after crashing on the first left turn. They cost ~30 bucks, cheap insurance. It will cost alot more to fix the damage if you brain fart.

#15 ·
Installed the Evoluzione sidestand bypass kit. Good thing I had a multi-meter and had some general idea how electrical things work (i'm one of those dumb mechanical engineeers..lol).

The directions are totally useless.

Now I can warm my bike up with the stand down! Next is a fairing!

#16 ·
Good thing I had a multi-meter and had some general idea how electrical things work
The directions are totally useless.
Told ya! BTW, if you install their spark plug wire kit, be prepared! The only part of the directions that was correct was "This is a spark plug"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.