Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brake lever seems to have quite a bit more play in it between riding in to work this a.m. and taking a trip out on the highway. the lever is almost to the grip before the front brake really starts to bite well. is this part of the whole 'breaking-in' process, or should i have my brakes looked at. pumping them didn't seem to have any effect and it's chock full of fluid. . . air in the line maybe?

--rob

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
That needs to be tended to. Stock Monster brakes don't need the lever to move much at all, it shouldn't get anywhere near the grip.
As you probably know, the back brake is only slightly more effective than dragging your feet, so you've got to have the front brakes.

It's very likely that there's some air in the system and it just needs to be bled, but the sudden occurance is disturbing, especially on a new bike. Perhaps best left to your dealer to fix it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it's air bound. That lever should move very little before the front end dives. I never use more than 2 fingers on the lever...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
maybe somebody "accidentaly" turned the small silver dial adjuster on the front brake lever with the 4 positions ? If fluids are full, no leaks and your caliper hasn't fallen off then I would check the simplest items next :)
Good to be alarmed though... check that adjuster and let us know..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i originally had the adjuster set to 4. i cranked it out to 1 this a.m. and the brakes bite better now, but the lever adjustment was in the same position that i left it in. . . weird.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't sound right to me... I have the same bike, and there is no question in my mind weather or not the brakes are working well. I still think you could have a very small amount of air trapped somewhere in the system. Take it bake to the dealer, and have them use a vac/bleeder on it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
calling the dealer this a.m. they've got to replace a gasket on my horizontal head anyway; i'll just have them check the brakes while they've got the bike.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Check the brake fluid levels.

My brakes have no more than a few mms of travel

On my previous bikes I always fixed this problem by:

Pull the brake back against the handlebar as hard as you can and tie it there for a few hours. It has to remain under pressure.

Turn the bars so that the brake resevoir is at its highest point when you have done this tap the brake lines a few times to dislodge any air pockets.

I suggest that with the lever pulled right back you check for any obvious leaks/cracks in the brake line so you dont return to a pool of brake fluid all over your pride and joy.

Hope this helps

stu

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Definitely have your brakes checked out. If the pads are worn down you will always feel more play in the lever, same thing if your brake fluid is low. I had my brake and clutch fluids flushed and refilled during my 9000 mile service a few months ago. Made the bike feel brand new again...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts