Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new battery for an '01 900 monster......any suggestions as to the best one to buy. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've done the light/small battery thing in the past - these days, I buy the biggest battery I can stuff in. I think the one that Fillmore mentioned is one of them, I can get some more numbers if you want to go this route.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I run the Odyssey PC-680 Rev suggested it and Im glad he did. I have not had a single problem in the 1200mi. Ive had it. I stopped using the battery tender cause it just stays fully charged. I have a volt meter and I check it religiously, too many battery problems in the past have made me anal about batteries.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I look at the Odyssey's dimention and it's different than what I currently have. Yes, I finally have to deal with a leaking battery too so my '01 M900 is currently liveless. :'( :'(

What's the difference between these Yuasas: YTZ-7 and YT12B?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Dare I reply? People always tell me I don't know [email protected]#! when I do but here it goes. Let me start w/ I sell batteries for a living. Motorcycle batteries in general are 1-2 year items, maybe 3 w/ a tender. Yes I know there are some batteries that go longer than that consider yourself lucky you got a great battery. For the rest of us lets be realistic, 1-3 years is the norm. As far as downsizing the battery as some suggest, that too may be possible for the smaller CC bikes. I tried a Z7-S in my M1000 and it wasn't overly reliable. Let me explain, if it just came off the tender and was totally full it would do the job. If it sat for any length of time and lost any capacity it would not start the big motor or if it was difficult to start I was sunk. No way did I want to get somewhere and get stuck so its back to the full size battery for me +1 for what Norm said. I thought the smaller battery would work - they work for 1000cc Jap bikes right - think of it this way, we are turning two 310cc to 500cc piston, larger capacity more compression. Instead of the 4-baggers turning four 150cc to 250cc pistons. Downsize if you want but on the DS1000 motor its questionable. Odyssey stuff is really great and they have a new size the PC310, I am going to try on it my DS1000 and I can let you know how it works.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
64duc said:
My94 900 uses the same battery as my 86 Yamaha Virago. You can look it up in WalMarts little computer.
I did and they don't even have Ducati listed on the computer. The smallest battery that they could cross referrence with Yuasa's YT12 is a tad too thick for my bike. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts