Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new 03, 800 dark today and it misses and i believe I can hear the valves pinging when I slow cruise between 3000 and 4000 RPM. The shop where I bought it says that they run lean and the idle may be set too high. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. My 996 ran great from day one.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Bring it back and tell them that ain't a "lean" run. They tell us all Ducs brought to the states run a little lean, but my 2003 M620 NEVER missed. You paid for a brand new bike, it should run like a brand new bike. Either replace it with a new one or figure out the problem. Either way, WARRANTY is the word of the day!!....Not like this helped at all or anything, just lettin you know, you got people on your side.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. That"s just what I'm going to do. The owner of the shop is an OK guy, but I have my doubts about their service. I guess I was just fishing for that,"Yea that's it, no big deal" support. It accelerates fine. That 3000 to 4000 rpm range is crap. I test drove a 620, and it was fine. I'll be at the shop at 9:00 AM sharp.

M

·
0 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted on what it turns out to be. It would also be great to know your location and dealer. I think we all need to be aware of the dealers out there that have a clue and those that don't. Good dealer experiences should be rewarded with continued business and the bad ones should be weeded out. Vote with your dollars and let others know about it!

Z

·
0 Posts
No problems at all with my 800. I've had it for almost a year now. No brand new bike should misfire and ping straight off the showroom floor. That's unheard of.
Take that lemon back and get yourself a cherry!

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do. I'm on the west cost of Florida. I don't want to say who the dealer is until I see if they fix it or not. They have been good to me so far. The bike was right out of the crate with one mile on the odomitor. Sometimes these things just happen. I'll post what it is tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem Solved! The throttle positioninng sensor was set wrong at the factory. This did in fact make the bike run lean. Reseting this at the dealership was a simple fix. The mechanic at American Legend in Sarasota, Florida, did not make me wait and gave his full attention to my bike. It now runs great and is smoother throughout the whole rpm range.

M

·
0 Posts
Excellent! Always great to hear a success story. Thanks for the follow-up, and props to your mechanic for showing some good customer service. Have fun with the new ride!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts