Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*not in love with intermittent check engine light :LOL:
Getting an error code "FUEL" which i think means the fuel level sensor isn't working. Sometimes the light is on, sometimes it is not, but the sensor clearly doesn't work as I have run out of fuel while riding and luckily was able to coast to a gas station.
Is this a known problem with the 696? I honestly don't mind not having a fuel light that much, I've never had one before, but it is a little annoying to have a check engine light on. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same issue here with the fuel level sensor (M620dark), just stopped working, but i never got an intermittent check engine light.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing, I took the tank off to do valves, put it back on and everything works fine now ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to the forum and this thread caught my eye.
I recently bought a 2009 696 with low kilometres ( 7000 ). Almost immediately the check engine light came on indicating a problem with the fuel level sensor. The mechanic found a wire that was at fault in the harness replaced it and so far ( only 100km ) there is no light. I actually don’t know if the sensor works since I haven’t been through a tank of gas yet.
The mechanic said that it looked like the wire was getting kinked and bent at the same spot with each turn of the bars and that lead to the failure. He also said I should track my kilometres traveled after each fill up with the trip meter. The way he said it made me think I should expect more problems.
I am surprised at this type of failure on a bike after only 7000k. Are the 696s known for problems with the wiring harness?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am new to the forum and this thread caught my eye.
I recently bought a 2009 696 with low kilometres ( 7000 ). Almost immediately the check engine light came on indicating a problem with the fuel level sensor. The mechanic found a wire that was at fault in the harness replaced it and so far ( only 100km ) there is no light. I actually don’t know if the sensor works since I haven’t been through a tank of gas yet.
The mechanic said that it looked like the wire was getting kinked and bent at the same spot with each turn of the bars and that lead to the failure. He also said I should track my kilometres traveled after each fill up with the trip meter. The way he said it made me think I should expect more problems.
I am surprised at this type of failure on a bike after only 7000k. Are the 696s known for problems with the wiring harness?
The 696 is known for rock solid electronics except for the fuel level sensor and voltage regulator

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Amanfrd1. I have gone through several tanks of gas since I posted that query. The fuel level sensor has been working so far. I will keep a close eye on my trip kilometres after each fill up though. Is there anything I can do about the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Amanfrd1. I have gone through several tanks of gas since I posted that query. The fuel level sensor has been working so far. I will keep a close eye on my trip kilometres after each fill up though. Is there anything I can do about the voltage regulator?
It's either going to die or it won't. I just rolled over 20k miles and no issues. If you want, you can buy an aftermarket regulator, but if it hasn't gone bad by now you should be in the clear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again Amanfrd1.
After posting my question to you I read through various posts in this forum regarding voltage regulator issues. If I understand this right; a voltage regulator... regulates voltage ( who knew? ). Basically taking voltage produced by the bike, channeling it to the battery if needed or absorbing it (?) in the case of excess voltage, such as during high revs. The times of high revs seem to be the issue when heat can build up and create problems. Several people suggested feeling the voltage regulator while the bike is at idle to see if the regulator is hot. My understanding is that it shouldn’t be at that level of revs and if it is then I could have a problem.
I will probably do this, just to start the process of understanding my new bike and how it works.
I welcome all of your comments and any corrections to my limited understanding. Perhaps we should change your name from Amanfrd1 to Ducati Yoda.
Cheers,
JackJack

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again Amanfrd1.
After posting my question to you I read through various posts in this forum regarding voltage regulator issues. If I understand this right; a voltage regulator... regulates voltage ( who knew? ). Basically taking voltage produced by the bike, channeling it to the battery if needed or absorbing it (?) in the case of excess voltage, such as during high revs. The times of high revs seem to be the issue when heat can build up and create problems. Several people suggested feeling the voltage regulator while the bike is at idle to see if the regulator is hot. My understanding is that it shouldn’t be at that level of revs and if it is then I could have a problem.
I will probably do this, just to start the process of understanding my new bike and how it works.
I welcome all of your comments and any corrections to my limited understanding. Perhaps we should change your name from Amanfrd1 to Ducati Yoda.
Cheers,
JackJack
I don't know about that, maybe 696 Yoda :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
696 Yoda, sounds good to me. Especially since that is the only Ducati I own. Does this mean you will now be reversing the subject/verb order in all of your posts? ”Voltage regulator, check you must”

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 696 is known for rock solid electronics except for the fuel level sensor and voltage regulator
Heyy! About that voltage regulator... My 09 monster 696 quit on me when riding. I replaced the battery but volts when I rev stay at 12.57ish... I believe this should increase to 14. Ish when revved, is this signs of a faulty voltage regulator?
Thanks for any info!
Cheers!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heyy! About that voltage regulator... My 09 monster 696 quit on me when riding. I replaced the battery but volts when I rev stay at 12.57ish... I believe this should increase to 14. Ish when revved, is this signs of a faulty voltage regulator?
Thanks for any info!
Cheers!
Maybe. Feel it at idle for excessive heat. Mine only jumps to 13ish

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for any info!
Cheers!
If at idle you don't get at least 13.5v then your battery is not charging and you will keep on replacing it.
Could be the regulator or the stator. You can diagnose it with a simple multimeter. Measure the voltage coming out of the stator (AC) and the voltage coming out of the regulator (DC) when idling.

Google "troubleshoot motorcycle regulator".

·
Registered
5 Posts
If at idle you don't get at least 13.5v then your battery is not charging and you will keep on replacing it.
Could be the regulator or the stator. You can diagnose it with a simple multimeter. Measure the voltage coming out of the stator (AC) and the voltage coming out of the regulator (DC) when idling.

Google "troubleshoot motorcycle regulator".
Yeah, pretty sure it's the regulator. I took it off the bike today and it has a small crack and has a little grease coming out. Any thoughts on replacing it with a MOSFET vs. the OEM or an aftermarket one?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts