Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear brake squeaks on my new '09 696. I think it started squeaking around 200 miles.

Anyone else have this experience?

I'll be taking it in for it's first scheduled service (it now has 800 miles on it) hopefully this week, so I'll definitely have it taken care of.

I was just wondering if this is a common problem or just my problem?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you cleaned the rotor with denatured alcohol? Sometimes the brake pad dust can cause squeaking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The rear brake squeaks on my new '09 696. I think it started squeaking around 200 miles.

Anyone else have this experience?

I'll be taking it in for it's first scheduled service (it now has 800 miles on it) hopefully this week, so I'll definitely have it taken care of.

I was just wondering if this is a common problem or just my problem?
I had that same problem and so did a lot of other 696 owners. I called the dealer and they told me Ducati put out a bulletin on the rear brake. They ended up puting a shim in behind the pad and it did the job just fine.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
rear monster brakes have squeaked since the first models.
cleaning out the dust, beveling the front edge, anti-squeak compound and getting different pads can all help

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ducati was flooded with issues about noisey rear brakes on the 696. They sent out a notice to dealers to replace the rear pads with a softer pad material. I had mine replaced at 500 miles and haven't heard a noise since. However, the softer pad material results in a softer rear brake pedal. If your gonna track it leave the stock pads on and deal with the noise

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I have the same issue with my 696, since it's in the shop right now getting the transmission fixed (locked in first gear), and getting new O-rings (oil leak at 2k miles) I think I'll have them take a look at this too. I had the Cincy shop I use to go to look at it, they cleaned it and said it's good....it wasn't.

I think I'll give them a call...thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just had the 600 mile service. The dealer told me about the Ducati bulletin as well. They cleaned everything up and said if it still squeaks I should let them know and they would contact Ducati. The dealer thinks Ducati will send them some "special" replacement pads instead of the usual pads?

Anyway, it is still squeaking!

Meanwhile, while I was getting serviced, they gave me an 1100 as a loaner. It was also an 09, had about 1300 miles on it, and the rear brake did not squeak! Wow! The 1100 has a lot of gitty-up ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts