Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys. I just got a 99 M750. I've noticed that every once in awhile when i'm rapidly accellerating that if i dont pull up into 4th gear hard enough that the bike will just sit in neutral and i'll rev the hell out of the engine. Then i squeeze the clutch in and pull up and it kicks into 4th. Also it's really clunky when downshifting especially from 2nd to 1st. Is my tranny going out or what?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
it happen to me too,just have to shift gear like you mean it.
Yeah, I find its only when I'm being really vague with the shifting foot that it happens (or when I've been riding the Honda for a while, its got a _really_ light and positive gearshift which is _way_ to easy to get used to...)

If its happening to you a lot, try adjusting the gear lever down a little so your "normal" gear change ends up being a little more positive...

big

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Some Ducati transmissions have more false neutrals than others. If you're one of the lucky ones, you just have to be more deliberate with your shifts. My 97 M900 was most likely to get a false neutral between 4th and 5th, but that bike could get a false neutral between ANY of the gears. I had a 96 M900 temporarily that rarely got any false neutrals and my ST2 rarely gets them as well.

Adjusting the shift lever down half an inch helped.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok good deal. Just wasn't sure about it as i've never run into "false neutral" before. Just glad that it doesn't mean that i'm gunna need a new tranny ;D

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
WAS most likely?! Try IS. :) I thought it might have bent a shift fork in the crash. Maybe I need to figure out how to play with that gear shift mechanism to tighten up the shifting.

:) Chris

My 97 M900 was most likely to get a false neutral between 4th and 5th, but that bike could get a false neutral between ANY of the gears.
Adjusting the shift lever down half an inch helped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts