Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Those carb seals were appearing to make their way back to the East Coast. Made it to San Francisco distribution center yesterday. Just got a tracking update and they are on their way BACK to MENLO PARK!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Belts on and adjusted. Rollers were nasty. Used Krud Kutter again with toothbrush and brass wool. Polished with emory cloth. Lubed with PB Blaster to break up anything I couldn't get to and prevent any rust at least. Was going to use WD40 but that **** ****s up bearings (chains too) since it eventually forces the grease out. Wasn't going to risk it.

Of course an adjuster screw was mangled. It happened to be on the horizontal at least. Was barely able to get out. Had to hammer a torx bit into it. Didn't work first time. Wasn't looking good because there aren't too many other options. Too tight to get some locking pliers in there. Crossed my fingers and tried a few more times and got lucky. Went to Ace and only one they had that was the right length was chrome. Bling!

Covers look WAY better now.

Basically stuck waiting for those effing carb seals. Eff those effing seals.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks, Andy!

Carb seals stuck in infinite loop between Menlo Park and San Fran. USPS is "looking into" the issue. Likely going to be getting tracking updates for years.

Going old school and reusing the current seals. Have done before and made out fine. Not a big deal. Tried to go above and beyond for this bike. Nope. Parts stuck in USPS purgatory.

Screw it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Bought some Tax Refund presents for myself. lol

Going with 2000+ blinkers up front to match the rears I ended up having to use so needed some corresponding brackets. Found some of those for $25 shipped. That's too much in my opinion but best deal I could find.

While out shopping at eBay I figured I could look for a 2000+ fairing. New style blinkers interfere with fit of first gen fairing. Found one for $35 plus shipping and some brackets for $15 plus shipping. It's got some minor rash on one side but no breaks anywhere. Will scuff and paint middle stripe on fairing Duc Yellow. Leave the two thin outside stripes red.

Grabbed some M5 carb sync vac ports to replace the evap ports on the intake manifolds for $7 plus shipping.

Carbs cleaned, adjusted and ready to go back on (with original seals since USPS has now lost package and told me to just file claim after 30 days).

Waiting on closing shim. Again. Apparently my shim tool is off by -0.05 mm. My measurements said I needed a 6.85 mm shim and that's what I ordered. Shim I would receive would say 6.85 mm but it would measure 6.80 mm. Etc. This happened twice before me and seller figured out the issue. Proper size shim will be here tomorrow and shim tool is going in the recycle bin.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
WOO! Got closer shim in and threw in during lunch break. Everything checked out and measured perfect. Engine now done and buttoned up. Just oli change and plugs left for that department.

Carb seals turned up on radar and are actually in the right state! Whaaa? Will be satisfied when they are actually in my mailbox. According to location they are just a couple days out. May get this weekend. Will hold off on carb install and throw in if they actually get here.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Had some time and bored so cleaned intake manifolds up and replaced a vac line. Intake manifolds were brown from old gas and had some oxidation. Enough on that though.

When I had the intake manifolds off I looked in the horizontal cylinder head and noticed what looks to be evidence of porting. So may have a hot rod Monster. Will find out I guess. Not pulling heads any time soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
About those carb seals.

Tracking started acting funny yesterday. Said they departed distribution center at 6pm. Ok. Then got another update saying they departed same distribution center at 11:50pm. Hmm. Also said they were on their way to destination. Hmm.

On the way to it's destination typically means it's in the air. Term not used on the ground. So that would mean they were in the air again. Hmm. No. Couldn't be. Could it?

Just got a tracking update and sure enough they are on their way BACK TO MENLO PARK! THEY WERE JUST HERE ON THE EAST COAST AND NOW THEY ARE GOING BACK TO CALIFORNIA!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Carbs installed (with original seals).
Cleaned and lubed cables.
Lubed bar and throttle.
Lubed throttle cable housing.

Use PB Blaster's liquid teflon spray. Spray medium quickly evaporates and leaves only teflon. Does not contaminate like traditional lubes. Works great.

Routed and adjusted throttle and choke cables (took the most time).
Cleaned the K&N filter that was on it.

Tomorrow:
Install airbox and the electricals.
Clean up half ass airbox lid mod. Get some nice clean lines. Try for a factory look.
Grab some plugs.
Grab an airbox plug where evap was. Had electrical tape sealing it when I got it.
Grab crankcase breather filter.
Hook up to gas bottle.
Start.
Sync carbs.

Near Future:
Grab paint for frame. There is a duplicolor that is supposed to be really close. Wanna clean up any stains and touch up the rest. Lots of overspray on frame where Mr. Squid seems to have painted parts while on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The fairing and carb vac ports came in.

Installed the vac ports in place of the evap ports.

Fairing cleaned up nicely. The wax pencil on the windshield was stubborn as hell. Busted out the brake cleaner for some paint transfer scuffs and tried on the wax pencil. Knocked it out quick and no damage to windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Cut down and cleaned up the airbox lid. Pic of what I had to start with below.

Plugged evap hole in the airbox. Used some black Yamabond 5 to seal it. Did more for vacuum sealing rather than water ingress.

Installed airbox. Just need to hook it all up. Relaxed today and didn't really mess with it.

Had to order crankcase breather filter. Nothing local.

So... maybe tomorrow I'll hook it all back up and start it? Sync the carbs while in there? Do nothing? Will see. lol

Will definitely get a vid whenever I do and link it.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
"The skies parted and the angels sang..."

Went on ebay to see if there was a decent yellow front fender to match the tank. Gave up on finding a carbon S fender like it should have and was resigned to just buying one new someday. Well, lo and behold, the first item up is a Ducati Performance carbon fender. A little beat up and will need a minor repair but solid. It was also just $25 plus shipping! Almost broke the mouse clicking BUY! Hahaha

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
2000+ headlight brackets came in. Installed them. Installed 2000+ blinkers.

Can see the chintzy blinkers that were on it in the first pic resting on the headlight.

Reason the blinkers were so cheap is because one was broken. Was going to superglue but someone had already tried and the break no longer fit back together snug and the superglue wouldn't take. Used some clear 5 minute Permatex epoxy with duct tape acting as a mold. Once assembled I added a little more epoxy and let it sit for a while. Giving it extra time due to the low temperature right now. If doesn't set due to the temps will just grab another sometime.

Plan on using same epoxy to repair carbon front fender. Used in the past to repair a cafe fairing someone had cut chunks out of that I couldn't see in the ad's pics. Worked great but was much warmer out too.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Here's the video link. Enjoy with headphones for best results! Haha

Still some things to do but the biggest problems have been solved. Will keep updating thread as usual.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Had to pull battery and airbox off again to take a closer look. Make sure the CO2 wasn't screwing with my head. Nope. CO2 wasn't screwing with my head. No carb sync screw at all. The idle screw was also dialed all the way out. Was not touching the throttle stop or even close to it.

Had to look around garage for an appropriate screw to replace the missing one. Found one that was basically new and the perfect size. Screwed it in and threw the airbox and battery back on.

Hooked vac gauges up to the handy vac ports I had installed earlier and got the carbs synchronized after a good bit of fiddling. Were obviously WAY off but are dialed in perfectly now. Night and day difference. Now I know what it's SUPPOSED to sound like. Amazing, that's what! Ha.

This bike has been a trip and it's not even been on one yet. Haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
LOVE IT.

I picked up a squid-flipped Red/Gold version of the same '99 M900S w/17k miles. Did you get it from the same guy as me :)?

For $600, and a bunch of hours pulling grass, dirt and pebbles out of everywhere, she started on 3 cranks. I just about nutted at the sweet sound of that lovely carbed L-twin.

I've now put a bit of TLC into mine and one MAJOR issue to resolve (fu-xer cracked the block at the front mounts & needs a weld). Really coming together though and already turning heads w/standard bar and bar-end mirrors and a CNC'd clutch cover straight from amazon. Even caught a couple guys peeking it, when I parked it at the classic car show at my local donut shop.
Best and most fun Craigslist buy, ever.

Love seeing you de-squid your new ride!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
LOVE IT.

I picked up a squid-flipped Red/Gold version of the same '99 M900S w/17k miles. Did you get it from the same guy as me :)?

For $600, and a bunch of hours pulling grass, dirt and pebbles out of everywhere, she started on 3 cranks. I just about nutted at the sweet sound of that lovely carbed L-twin.

I've now put a bit of TLC into mine and one MAJOR issue to resolve (fu-xer cracked the block at the front mounts & needs a weld). Really coming together though and already turning heads w/standard bar and bar-end mirrors and a CNC'd clutch cover straight from amazon. Even caught a couple guys peeking it, when I parked it at the classic car show at my local donut shop.
Best and most fun Craigslist buy, ever.

Love seeing you de-squid your new ride!
THANKS!

Haha. No. Guy I got it from had it since 2002. All the squid stuff happened between 99-02. Someone was busy! Has a few good mods tho like the bars/controls, tach, and Staintunes. The Staintunes are about $1400 new!

Sounds like you got a deal! Even with the work!

Should post a pic!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Spent a while routing and rerouting cables til I was happy. Spent more time getting the main tank fuel line just right. The filter that was not quite right proved a bit of a hassle. Used some 5/16 fuel line from an auto parts store so it had to be cut to a length that didn't kink but also didn't pull taut with tank up. Not an ideal solution but works.

Oil was over filled of COURSE so drained to proper level. Want to go for short test ride tomorrow. Filter and oil get here tomorrow. Got running with old oil first just in case I had gas overflow. Wouldn't waste brand new oil and filter. Oil in it wasn't bad.

Just need to get a gallon of gas to fill the tank now and it's ready for the unseasonably warm day we're getting tomorrow.

Bikes in pic are my personal trinity of bikes I've always liked. Culmination of buying old bikes and fixing them up for a few years now. Not a flipper. Just would get an old bike that needed work for not much and would sell or trade after a few seasons. I'm not trading or selling any of these any time in the near future. All were in similar or worse condition as the Monster. Got the 74 CB750 for $500 this past fall and got the 89 GSXR1100 a few years ago for $400. All are mechanically restored with the cosmetic restoration typically consisting of finding decent condition used parts. More of a preservation than restoration cosmetically. Got tired of driving myself crazy over minor details and hunting for mint parts. Haha. Fix up to survivor condition and enjoy now!

As far as the Monster goes I need to freshen up the forks, clean and lube chain, polish a couple spots on exhaust cans, pop a small dent on one exhaust can and that's about it for now. Will be using Seal Mate on fork seals first before tearing apart forks. Have used before and worked a number of times. Sometimes small weeps are just bits of grit between seal and tube. Cost a few dollars and if it works why not.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 85 Posts