Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got the "nickel plated" emulsion tubes in the other day. Regular worn out brass ones. Emulsion tube pics from the ad below. Can't say they look brass in those pics. Seller was cool with returning. Ordered stock ones for a 89+ FZR1000. They were $15 a piece plus shipping. There should not be $10 shipping on something small enough to ship with stamps.

Fun fact: If you need a slide diaphragm Suzuki will sell just the diaphragm for a DR650, which uses same carb, for $20~ rather than the whole slide for close to $200.

The vac ports for synching the carbs were capped with electrical tape and sections of hose. One hose plugged with a bolt and zip tie. Ok. The other hose plugged with a piece of plastic shopping bag. Hmm. Ok? Vac caps can be had at any parts store. They aren't one off OEM parts. See odd stuff used for plugs a lot and can only wonder.

Speaking of vac caps, the rubber bit on the end of the tank prop was shot and I replaced it with an appropriate sized vac cap!

Shaking my fist at the clouds while waiting for parts. Haha

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got seat in the mail. Installed tool kit. Ha. Installed seat cowl onto new seat. That thing is an incredible hassle. Sheesh. Never taking off again unless for paint or replacement with a carbon fiber version. Passengers can skip on down the road.

Of course the seat got damaged during shipping. Indicative of a puncture type incident rather than a tear. The cracks, about five, radiate out from a central point like a web. Trying out some clear Permatex vinyl repair that comes in a tube for around five bucks. Currently drying right now. Will update when it cures.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got blinkers in. 2000+ versions for $15 plus shipping. Tried to use the correct year square style ones but the only Comp Werkes tail kit that came with the blinker brackets was for 2000 and up. Funnily enough these blinkers came with Comp Werkes brackets on them. Go figure. If anyone needs a set lemme know. The oval ones go better with lines of the bike as well in my opinion.

One issue I ran into with the later model kit is you can't use the blinker brackets in their intended locations. Comp Werkes mentions they don't make a kit for the 93-99 and you have to do some cutting and fitting with a later one. Issue is that the seat lock takes up a lot of real estate compared to later models and the left side blinker bracket would need a major work around. I ended up installing brackets under the tail using the existing seat lock bolts. The aggressive tail chop ended up working in my favor since the blinkers would not have fit otherwise. Blinkers also help hide the chop. Will try to plug the frame eventually but was cut on an angle so the conventional plugs won't work. Running seat lock cable down frame and comes out near shock for now. Planning to install the stock lock in the undertail somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Shot the belt covers with a prime/paint in one type paint. Should dry to a satin finish. Belt covers seem to be a different color depending on the day of the week they were made from what I've seen so I'm fine with this color. Closest I could find that was near factory color. The valve and cam covers high heat paint came out nice. Pretty close to stock engine color.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks! Has been fun. Can't wait either. Have heard Staintunes sound really good on these. Waiting on parts again. lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks! CitriStrip was $8~ and the paint was $4~ each vs buying good condition stock parts for too much cause it's all over priced. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got shim tool in mail today. All valves but one adjusted. Rechecked clearances since adjusting (sandpaper) the openers and two closers were good, one could be sanded and have one on order from EMS.

Shade Tree Valve Adjustment:
Pack of Sandpaper = $3.50
Shim Tool = $15 shipped
One Closer Shim = $15.95 shipped
Grand Total = $34.45 (Pfft! Haha!)

Gas tank should be in the mail soon. Gentleman I purchased tank from also had some one year old belts with about 1k miles on them for $40 so belts are on their way as well.

Going to use original cover gaskets as templates to make new gaskets from gasket paper next while waiting on shim.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Had a little craft fair and made some gaskets. Worked out nicely. Already had a roll of gasket paper laying around. Typ $5~ at Pepboys. Haven't seen rolls at the other chains. Used a 99 cent hole punch, some $3 craft scissors and a $2 exacto knife.

Horizontal cylinder buttoned up. Waiting on a closer shim for the vertical cylinder.

Covers seem to have a blue hue in the photos but they're a standard silver. It's the stock engine paint that throws it off. The stock paint seems to have a slight champagne tint to it as if a small amount of the frame color is mixed in. Oh well. Better than that shitty yellow color.

Emulsion tubes and viton carb seals should get here soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Welp, the viton seals got to the country via NYC and promptly left for Menlo Park, California. Can't say I blame them. Hopefully they get bored of how nice it is and come back to the East Coast.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Good News: Carb seals got tired of California and are headed SOMEWHERE.

Bad News: Tank and belts delayed en route. Hopefully tomorrow but has yet to get into town. Was supposed to be delivered today.

Good News: Seat puncture repair worked out. Will go over when I get pic of repair.

Everything was lined up to have the bike start up this weekend but the parts decided otherwise. Guess I gotta find something else to do now. Haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Here are pics of the seat puncture post repair.

Used Permatex clear vinyl repair. Instructions say to apply and cover with masking tape for ten minutes then let cure for 24 hours. Can be used after 8 hours but why bother? Got somewhere to be? Anyway I did that and used a healthy amount and covered with a 2" x 2" piece of masking tape.

Too much goop and too large a piece of masking tape caused it to spread over a large area. Using less goop and a smaller piece of masking tape (could wipe up excess while masked) would prevent this. It dried like a thin layer of silicone might as far as coloring and noticeably goes.

Used some shoe polish to blend in. Was okay but still stood out. Used some worn out 400 grit sandpaper I had lying around to remove the thin excess layer around the repair. Came off easily. Was careful to score the vinyl as little as possible. Went over area with shoe polish again and is hardly noticeable.

Pressing on area so you can see the repair is flexible and works very well. Repair cost was $5.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Tank got here. Top was as expected. Used some Krud Kutter to clean up. Used a small amount of brake cleaner on microfiber cloth to remove the stubborn stuff. Stuff you think is permanently on there comes off pretty easy. Def use small amount and with a microfiber cloth. Will dull area if a rough cloth is used since you sometimes have to scrub a bit. Outside cleaned up well enough for price paid.

Underside is the issue. What appears to be pinholes forming on the bottom and the area around the hinge being welded/reinforced (burned paint). I inspected the suspect areas and scrapped paint away with a pic to check for pinholes. All checked so far have been solid metal. Leaning towards whatever getting between paint and outside of tank as cause so far. Will inspect/clean up later and apply something to protect the metal. Inside of tank is spotless.

WIX truck filter works well form factor wise plus they're clear. I got the wrong offset 90 degree filter. Inlet should be close to outlet rather than farther. Should be fine tho. They also have same 90 degree filters that have the inlet centered. Will go with those next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Tank and new used seat installed. Oddly the new seat was an absolute bastard to get on. Old seat fit a cinch. Both seats have same exact seat pan. Matching part numbers and all. Only guess is if seat was off a bike for a while the foam may have relaxed and will need to be acquainted with a tank for a while again. May have cover installed by pro on old seat at later date and use that one.

Had to move tank hinge all the way forward and bend the locating pin at the latch backwards a little bit. Hoping foam adheres to tank shape soon cause I don't think I could get the seat on without the rear stand. Bike would likely come off kickstand and tip. Bike was rolling forward on the rear stand even though I was standing on it while trying to get the seat on! Haha

Need to find a hooked spring scale somewhere to do the belts now.

Digging the look now actually! Won't have to repaint the wheels now either!

WOO HOO!

HAHA!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Snapped these up from Japan. Got for $10 with shipping and fees likely twice that so about $30 all in.

Wanna put belts and covers on today. Going to adjust with the 5mm & 6mm allen key method. Looking forward to seeing how repainted belt covers look on it.

Gotta do before the Super Bowl starts tho. Lol

Attachments

21 - 40 of 85 Posts