Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Atlanta -

I recently went through the diagnostics process on another Italian (Moto Guzzi) bike - using a software tool called "guzzidiag" - along with a USB/ODB2 cable, and the associated cable for the bike's diagnostic port.

I'm guessing the same sort of thing is available for the 696 Monster - but maybe a little harder to find because of the Siemens ECU instead of the Marelli.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I also have the "race" ecu that came with the OEM Termi cans I installed. My guess is that this ecu simply has the proper air/fuel mixtures for the Termi cans.

I've done a search on this forum - to save anyone from the effort of responding - but so far I've not found anything.

I'd appreciate any advice or direction. Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Download M3C from JPDiag: jpdiag
And buy the cables from Lonelec (35$USD): Diagnostic Interface for MelcoDiag TuneECU DDA

At this stage you can only reset the service indicator (spanner on the dash).
Thanks for the info. Seems like a lot of trouble just to delete the service indicator. I don't want to change the mapping - but I thought maybe there was the periodic need to reset the throttle position indicator.

Reading error codes might be helpful. Do you know if jpdiag's M3C product allows that?

I have the necessary cables - so I guess there's little harm in downloading the software and seeing what it can do.

I'm told that the TUNEBOY product is another option - but still gathering info on its capabilities and limitations.

Once again - many thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
On the 696 (Siemens M3C), the TPS reset is done automatically when you turn the key on.
Idle trim is also automatic unlike the previous generation Marelli.

You can read error codes with the dash, no need for extra tools.
At key on just press up arrow to get to the menu where you get the battery voltage, rpm, etc...
If you have an error the engine light will be on and it will appear first thing in that menu. The most common being low voltage from the battery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently asked about this (the post was not specifically about this, which is why you probably didn’t find it) and was told that at this time there isn’t a product like GuzziDiagnor TuneECU fo the Siemens ECU. Kind of a bummer because TuneECU was a great program for my Triumph and it works with most of the other Ducati’s around this generation. I haven’t looked into it in a while, but I know the guys on the Triumph forum really like the TuneBoy. Not sure what the opinion is for the Ducs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use the M3Cdiag tool regularly (09 Monster 696 with Siemens ECU). Includes error code reading, TPS reset, engine RPM and temperature in Celsius, dash service light reset, error code clearing, side stand position, clutch and brake position, battery voltage, and some other less useful things. The error codes on the dash are not specific, the M3Cdiag is. Where the dash will only say "error, FUEL", M3C will tell you which cylinder is lean, rich, firing intermittently, if the fuel pump is going out, if the fuel level sensor is faulty etc etc etc.

something else to note, the TPS still needs resetting occasionally. On startup, the bike more or less gathers data for where the throttle is 0, but the TPS itself can be thrown out of whack in such a way that it thinks 100% throttle is 80% after a bunch of startups. Just my experience.

TL:DR M3Cdiag will work for the Siemens ECU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts