Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally saved enough to get my monster. I've been looking into the 04 620, but I just found a dealer that has a NEW 02 monster 620 dark, and they would sell for $5,500 and ship it to my house for FREE (still has the factory warranty). ;D

So is that a good deal for the 02 matte black 620? What are the differences between that one and the 04 620 i.e (besides the 6 speed)? Any guage cluster differences etc.?

They also offered a 03 Monster 800 gloss black for $ 8250 and free shipping, but I cant go much over the $7000 range... :'(

Thanks for the help,
Gus.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i would say go for the 02, that seems like a great deal, especially if they are shipping. the 800 can be had for less depending on where you are located. gotta do what makes sense financially.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, what I thought... but do you know if there are any differences besides the 6 speed?

Thanks for replying.

Gus.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tough question...
I waited over 5 years to get a motorcycle.... Part of it was the money the other was I couldn't decide which bike I wanted. After figuring out that I didn't want a motorcycle that goes out of style or is out done by next years model, or is too agressive for my level or riding (talking about a Japanese inline four super bikes). I looked at Ducati, one reason I had another online buddy always talk about his Ducatis, about that and this... And At first I thought man they are not fast, and they don't change in style.... Soon I realized what these bikes sounded like, there styling is timeless, and its a Ducati Dam it lol
More and more I saw sites and pics... And of course seeing them in person and hearing them in person... I knew this was the bike for me.. the one I waited 5 years for.... I saw a pic in here once, black clearcoat glossy Monster 900, with some highmonts, I said thats the one I want....
Well to cut a long story short... I went out and looked for a 03 M800 glossy black.... Some said that maybe 03 was the last year they were going to make that color, and since thats the color I wanted I went out and had my dealer get one for me... I didn't regret it since the 03 M800sie was the last year is came with the extra goodies lacking on the 04M800 (not many)
My point is don't hurry just becuse its a good deal, wait and save your money for the Bike YOU want not the one thats one sale. If you like Red and only black is on sale, wait for the red. Save your money for the bike you really want, there will always be deals and sales later on.
I know riding season is here and you'll get a lil frustrated watching the others ride, and you thinking you could be out there your self.. Just think I waited over 5 years and I'am happy I did.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'd get the '02. while the 6th gear's definately a nice addition, $5500's a great deal for a new bike with a full two year warranty.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Go with the 2 year old 620.

I assume this is your first bike? If so - it will be a great first bike and you won't have any trouble trading it in or selling it on if you chose to upgrade in the next 2 years (or never).

There are other threads out here on diffs in the Darks to regular monsters and from 02s to 04s.

Six speed - seriously don't think this matters for most people.
Single front disc on the Darks - probably not an issue unless you are really riding it hard - single should be fine.
No seat cowl - not a deal breaker for anyone I wouldn't think.
And I am pretty sure you don't have adjustable front forks.

I am by no means an expert on model diffs - but like I said there are threads out there on this question - try the search function while you are waiting for more people to reply.

Get the 02 Dark - I am betting you won't be disappointed and not at that price.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was in a similar position last November. The dealer had newer bikes but was trying to get rid of the 02's so they had them discounted. It is my first street bike so I figured I'd get some miles under my belt and trade up later when the time was right.

Besides, you'll want to save that extra money for all the mods you are going to want to do to it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you have a tight budget, get the '02. You can use the extra $1500 on good gear - helmet, gloves, jacket, boats and pants. Spend for top quality gear then buy the cycle IMHO. Your friends and family will be impressed that you thought safety was more important than an extra gear and a slipper clutch.

People have bought 02 left-overs for $5200ish. Figure out what shipping will cost and you may be able to go lower. Don't hold your breath though. Maybe ask for a discount on gear or something.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm headed to adealer right now that is selling their 03 ducs for invoice... Anyone knows what that is on a 620 or 800?

And yes it will be my first bike. ;D

Gus.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There can / will be a difference in insurance rates too ... something to keep in mind if you are on a budget.

Good luck.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2002 is good enough... I don't think there is any different, but hey you save big $!! you can use those money for a lot of goodies.

is it gonna be your first bike?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I bought a '02 620Dark, for $6000, and I love it, I thought maybe it would not have enough power, but No Way! This little Monster can move down the road, I just love her!!
Being this is your first bike the 620 is plenty big enough and big enough to keep you going for years.
Buying the '02 will save you bucks you can spend on gear.
And if this is your first bike , make sure you take the Motorcycle Safety Course in your state!! You will be VERY glad you did!!!
Have fun and ride SAFE!! ;D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, just got back home and here is how it went:

Was offered

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Sounds excellent! Welcome. The 620 sounds perfect. Use your savings for some nice gear that'll last, especially helmet, boots, and an armored jacket. Congrats!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Shadowgougar + Monster = Bellissimo !

Get gear and ask a lot of question from the older and wiser = HERE !!!

Go ride, enjoy, keep You mom happy !

Skier

·
Registered
915 Posts
That is the same bike I just got...congrats.

gnew

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No,no, congrats to you! ;D

I'm going to pick it up within an hour... 8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts