Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am synimon, i live in NYC and i have been riding since august 2006. my first bike is a 1990 ninja 250 (remember tom cruise in "topgun"). any how i am looking to buy the ducati monster 630 for next season. my only concern is how does the bike ride on long distances, like 300miles one way? i plan to ride between nyc and vermont. i know sport touring bikes are made for that purpose but i dont want to put 15k into a bike when i am such a new rider. any and all suggsestions will be appreciated!!
thx :)

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I think you are talking about the 620. ;D Also The bike from top Gun was a ZX10. ;D There are many people here that love the 620, it seems like a great bike. Also if the person is asking 15K for the 620 run away as fast as you can, and only spend about 10K for a S2R1000 ???

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
lwszabo said:
I was just checking to see if you were paying attention ::) ;)
Yep, I owned the same bike in 1985 when I was stationed at Campen.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
synimon ryder said:
Hi i am synimon, i live in NYC and i have been riding since august 2006. my first bike is a 1990 ninja 250 (remember tom cruise in "topgun"). any how i am looking to buy the ducati monster 630 for next season. my only concern is how does the bike ride on long distances, like 300miles one way? i plan to ride between nyc and vermont. i know sport touring bikes are made for that purpose but i dont want to put 15k into a bike when i am such a new rider. any and all suggsestions will be appreciated!!
thx :)
A 620 is a good little bike. I miss mine still.

They are not highway cruisers... the bike is perfectly capible of doing 300 highway miles, but might not be as comfy as some other bikes.

And why you say put 15k in - are you reffering to miles or Dollars?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I bought a new 620 almost two years ago now and since that time have logged 24,000 trouble-free miles on mostly country roads, lots of city riding, and the occasional highway jaunt.

So the 620 Monster, in my opinion, is more of a city bike. It does has enough power to run on the highway at 70 - 80 mph all day long, but the motor gets kinda buzzy and the stock seat gets really uncomfortable. There's no windscreen to speak of either so wind blast is another consideration (and if you must do long periods of highway cruising on a 620 Monster, the only thing I can say is get the Ducati Performance Gel Seat; worth its weight in gold!)

Bottomline is this: the 620 Monster is a really fun bike that loves twisty roads. It can do highway, but you're not gonna like it after about an hour.

If you can afford it and are comfortable on a larger displacement 'bike, look into a gently-used Monster S2R 800; no need to go the Sport/Touring 15K buck route just yet ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lwszabo said:
I think you are talking about the 620. ;D Also The bike from top Gun was a ZX10. ;D There are many people here that love the 620, it seems like a great bike. Also if the person is asking 15K for the 620 run away as fast as you can, and only spend about 10K for a S2R1000 ???
i am sure a ninja 250 was in top gun some where, but anywho 15k is for the ducati st2 or st4, only 7k for the monster 620! ;)
thx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.