Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal, when I got my M620 two weeks ago I had the salesman toss in the seat cowl (painted matte black) with the deal. They call me in yesterday to pick it up (they had to order one), and it was the wrong one.

Apparently the salesman (who was new) orderes this butt ugly carbon fiber (horrible quality BTW) seat cover that sticks up (its on the DP cataloge). I told him that wasn't it and he ordered the right one. Amazingly, they seem to have forgotten I never paid for the seat cowl in the first place, and are supposed to be giving me credit for the difference (around $300). ;D

What should I order with the credit? I can get anything from the DP cataloge, use it towards boots or pants, or get the refund.
The bike is an 03 M620 dark. I was looking into a belly pan, but DP has none in matte black... Any suggestions?

C'mon guys, help me shop. ;)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They'll figure out their mistake sooner or later, and then you'll be in an uncomfortable situation. If you plan on doing more business with them in the future, you'd be best off to be straight with them. Just my thoughts...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not one to take advantage of peopple. Let me put it this way...

As they told me about the mistake and what they wanted to do I replied "are you sure? ", the salesman simply said he incorporated the expensive one to my bike deal, instead of the one I wanted. Like they gave me a bigger discount

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm confused, but if you and the dealer figure it out and you do end up getting a refund, I would put it toward boots and pants. Protect yourself first, bike second. Just my thoughts.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't listen to these guys. Get the refund and forget about the DP catalog. There are much cheaper ways to get the stuff you want. I am sure the sales guy new this, but figured he could charge you for the more expensive cowl and still be making money.

Look, these guys aren't gonna loose money. He didn't throw in the cowl for free, And he wasn't doing you a favor. Take the money and buy some stuff for the bike. That is what you wanted anyway.

Don't forget these guys are salesmen, if they lost money they wouldn't have a job. Their job is to sell the stuff, and your is to get the stuff as cheap as possible. They are very good at convencing you they are "making an exception," "just this once," "if my boss finds out" but that ain't the case. That is why the mark up is so high. That way they can knock 20% off "just for you."

Don't let Jimminy Crickett tell you anything. He charged you the price of the bike + cowl.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't even bother with a seat cowl. You can get a complete seat cover with a matching coloured rear insert for under $100 at http://www.sargentcycle.com/skinzgen.htm. Check out the "solo style'....
BTW:- I'd give the credit back, never know when you might need them to be on your side when you want to make a warranty claim etc...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Im with Ducgasm, take your money and go get some riding gear somewhere cheaper. You can get a nice jacket and gloves with that money from places much more affordable than DP

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wasn't going to reply at first cause I don't help people shop. You should know what you want better than me. But then I saw this weird moral dilema appear in the thread.

If as you say they, "threw in the seat cowl" with the deal then it is yours as part of the package. If they can't deliver the right part you are entitled to an exchange or just cash. There is nothing morally wrong with that. The seat cowl was part of the sale and they have not delivered. Their fault, not yours.

P.S. If you can't figure out what you want to spend $300 bucks on put it in the bank until you actually know what you want. Nothing worse than buying a part for the bike and deciding later you don't really want it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies and opinions.

I didn't realize this would be such a dilema... I guess next time I'll take more time to write the post more clearly.

FYI: The seat cowl was part of the purchase deal, thus paid for. This means I'm not robbing them of their money. I'd never take advantage of people like that... The salesman apparently just "tossed in" the expensive carbon one. ::)
Just don't like people thinking I'm out there to take advantage of others. I take a lot of pride in working for what I have.

Anyways, thanks for the help. I'll see if they have decent protective gear for a resonable price, otherwise I'll take my money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts