1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am contemplating raising my rear end on my 98' M900, using the 30mm
kit.
My mechanic, who is a very good rider, thinks I am crazy.:eek: He said the bike would steer very bad...shifting too much weight forward.

So I ask all of you who have done this mod...what is your opinion now?

Thanks so much for your opinions!!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Everything I've read and everyone that seems to know what they are talking about say that raising the rear helps with turn in and overall cornering, but decreases comfort. That's why it's set so low to start. I don't have any experience with the kit you are talking about, my '98 M900 just has the rear shock set high and the front lowered a bit cause of the way the clip ons are set up. I am very happy with how it steers!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys;D

I just like the look of the raised rear...in the pics on an earlier thread.
I plan to do a total tail chop & low mount my exhaust and shorten the cans to expose more of the space between the seat and rear wheel...sort of like the Streetfighter.
I am a very casual rider, but confort is still a priority.

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
215 Posts
i didn't see anybody reply this answer, but it raising it 30mm is too much for you taste. you could always push the forks down in the triples to raise the front up a little(if you can). i just bought some of those risers to help me in my riding position being 6'2

·
Registered
48 Posts
rear lift

I lifted mine ('99 750), but didn't do a before or after measure. I added about 30mm or more to the 'swivel links' if that's what you call them. I bought S/S females from a earth moving supplier with S/S threaded rod and lock nuts. Has a grease nipple as well, no rust or need to paint and looks better. Only drama is you squash your man bits on the tank more often under braking with a pillion. I have modified the foam and recovered with original cover, can't tell the diff till you sit on it. Other thing is the bike leans over a lot more on it's side stand(but I also lifted the front forks till they are flush with the top triple tree) and my center stand is too short now and needs a small packer under to let the rear wheel spin free when servicing (will mod stand legs soon). I like the look with the height, no tail or hugger, with custom pipes.
Oh and handling is still great.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6779

1 - 7 of 7 Posts