Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who wants to give me the name of a place that can cut a custom metal bracket to remove the big ugly plastic one.
I do not have the tools to do any of it myself and would like to get it done before this weekend and the festivities.
Any volunteers?
Nosolace, where did you go?

·
Registered
384 Posts
hey man,

you know what, i had my dad do it at some sheet metal shop. Your best bet is to just get a phone book and find a sheet metal shop. give em a call and see what they can do. thats all that he did. its a piece of sheet metal about 8in wide and 12in long (aluminum) so its not too expensive. it took him one afternoon and about 20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Go to the hardware store and get a peice of aluminum. They sell 6" x 12" plates at ACE. Drill some holes in it to mount onto 2 of the bolts that are under the beer-tray. Put a bend in the aluminum plate and drill some more holes to mount the license plate. Piece of cake and only about $5.00 - $10.00.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have access to a full machine shop (family business) so just let me know if you need something made up [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rule62 said:
Go to the hardware store and get a peice of aluminum. They sell 6" x 12" plates at ACE. Drill some holes in it to mount onto 2 of the bolts that are under the beer-tray. Put a bend in the aluminum plate and drill some more holes to mount the license plate. Piece of cake and only about $5.00 - $10.00.
Again, I live in an apartment with no place to do any of this and no power tools. I don't think a screw driver will get me through metal very quickly.

I guess I will go to a sheet metal shop and give them the template I have.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Landshark3 said:
I have access to a full machine shop (family business) so just let me know if you need something made up [thumbsup]
If you can get it that would be fantastic. I am really wanting to get it before this weekend. I have the templates I downloaded off of the forum in PDF form. Let me know what you need from me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
975 Posts
C-

I may have enough aluminum at home to get what you need made up, and definitely have the tools (no machine shop, but I have a small metal brake, drill press, etc..) Only problem is that this week is VERY busy for me. There is a slight chance I could do it Wed evening, or Friday evening. There is an Ace Hardware near my place that is open until 9 if we need anything. Let me know if you want to try to work out our schedules, or run out of other options....

My shop fee is usually $100 an hour, but I waive that for smart DML members. ;) ;D[thumbsup] For those listening in, if you don't show up for rides the shop fee is doubled. :police:

~D

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
C Fresh said:
Again, I live in an apartment with no place to do any of this and no power tools. I don't think a screw driver will get me through metal very quickly.

I guess I will go to a sheet metal shop and give them the template I have.
I made my first bracket with a screwdriver. Go to the lumber section of the hardware store and look for some truss strapping. Like the brackets that you hang joists with. Thin metal brackets with holes punched through for nails. In the same section there should be some flat peices. Get a peice that's about 5" x 8" Use your screw driver to enlarge 2 of the holes in the material to bolt under the beer-tray, and another 2 to bolt on the stock metal piece that the plate mounts to. I made 2 of these. Gave 1 to Pennyrobber and another to AZ. Give them a PM and see if they're still using theirs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dietrich said:
C-

I may have enough aluminum at home to get what you need made up, and definitely have the tools (no machine shop, but I have a small metal brake, drill press, etc..) Only problem is that this week is VERY busy for me. There is a slight chance I could do it Wed evening, or Friday evening. There is an Ace Hardware near my place that is open until 9 if we need anything. Let me know if you want to try to work out our schedules, or run out of other options....

My shop fee is usually $100 an hour, but I waive that for smart DML members. ;) ;D[thumbsup] For those listening in, if you don't show up for rides the shop fee is doubled. :police:

~D
Sorry you ended up ridign out there alone dude, It's always more fun with a group. I will be back to bi-weekly runs soon [thumbsup]

Just let me know and I am sure I can help you make whatever you need. The shop is on 31st Ave and 1/2 mile north of Thomas. Maybe one of these days we can just have a Saturday of Modding there and everyone can build whatever custom parts they may want [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Randimus Maximus said:
C-F,

Check out this website: http://evoluzione.net/

$19.99 plus shipping. Easy to install, super clean & light! I had one of their license plate relocator brackets on my Monster, and have one on both my 996SPS & 999S.

Randy
Thanks, I had seen that one, but wanted something a bit more substantial, going to try to make my own. If that doesn't work I can always fall back on this one.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
C Fresh said:
Thanks, I had seen that one, but wanted something a bit more substantial, going to try to make my own. If that doesn't work I can always fall back on this one.
to each his own. the evo unit is sturdy, even though it may not look like it.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got some help and made one from aluminum. Worked out great and covers all the wires and such under the seat that the plastic piece covered. Nice and cheap too, as in a bit of my and Dietrich's time. I believe Dietrich is going to start selling these for a small profit ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts