Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

need help with rizoma reverse retro mirrors

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  randyc 
#1 ·
got the rizoma barends with slider along with the mirrors. am i missing something? the instructions/diagram sucks. how do you install this? any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
It's pretty straightforward, though it took some tinkering to get it right. I've learned that the problem is that even though you insert the bar end bolt and rubber into the bar and tighten it, the bar end itself still turns due to lack of friction between itself and the bar end bolt. I think the tapered ends of the "nuts" are supposed to go towards the rubber - but I've over tightened mine and torn the rubber, trying to get the ends from turning. I flipped those nuts back around so the flat part is against the rubber and it appears to be working fine - as far as that goes.

I'm going to put some locktite on the ends and snug them up and see if that solves it. Any other suggestions anyone?

Also, the little white sleeves are tapered. If you can't get the mirror on the bar end with the sleeve going in one direction, flip the sleeve around. It's a very snug fit even when you get it right.

Exactly what part of the install are you questioning?

#4 ·
I dont remember a black nut. I used the smaller rubber pieces. Having said that, after fighting mine tonight I realized I'd done it wrong. I probably wasn't paying enough attention that evening. Are you using the stock handlebar or the Rizoma handlebar?

If you are using the Rizoma bar (and maybe even the stock bar for that matter) refer to the instruction sheet FROM THE MIRRORS THEMSELVES. I'm going to try that and see if I can get a more secure mount.

Look at the diagram - #4 is for Hondas. #2 & #3 is for "screw in handlebars" - look at the actual bar end in the picture, compared to the others. #1 is for our type of bars. If you just focus on #1 (or the diagram with the MIRRORS) it makes some sense. Use the biggest rubber grommet that will fit in your bar (uncompressed), and position the tapered nuts as shown in the diagram, with the flat part of the threaded nut against the rubber. NOT cone-rubber-cone (as I did wrong).

I'm going to go out and try the rigid expander rings in my Rizoma bar and I'll report back soon.

#5 ·
Okay, I got it right now. Much more secure. Again, I'm using the Rizoma bar with a 14mm opening in the end. Per the diagram shown with the Rizoma bar end MIRRORS it goes like this:

Bolt (the longer one); bar end; lock washer; smaller metal expanding sleeve; cone shaped nut with cone going into the sleeve.

In that order, it's a very secure mount. Just remember to leave clearance for the throttle to operate. It'll probably take a time or two to snug it up, loosen it, pull it out 1mm or so, snug it up again, and so on until there's no interference with the throttle.

I don't know what the difference is between the metal sleeve and the rubber ones - maybe that lock nut is the key - but the metal sleeve option is much more solid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.