Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my stock headlight with one I bought from Headwinds but there's a wiring difference. The stock headlight just plugs into a socket with 4 wires coming from it. The lamp I bought only has three wires.

Stock wires: black
white
yellow
yellow with black stripe

New lamp: black
white
yellow

So I thought just connect up the 3 matching wires. I turned on the ignition, the lamp went on for about 3 seconds, then the bulb burned out.

I contacted Headwinds and they didn't know what to tell me. Most of their business is with Harley owners. Harleys have just the three wires they tell me. So before I try again with a new bulb (they're a little pricey), any suggestions on how to wire it?

Edit: the new lamp is 60w with high and low beam

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
If you have a multi meter it would help diagnose a wiring problem in the new headlight and to verify the stock wiring, but it sounds close enough that the bulb shouldn't blow.

I'd feel safe trying a new one.

G

·
Copycat!

Seriously, let me check.

Without taking the my bike apart, and just looking at the Ducati wiring diagram it should go:

Headwinds Ducati
Yellow ------> Yellow & black
Black ------> Black
White -------> White

The yellow ducati wire goes to a weak little 5 watt parking light.

Good news: Odds are you didn't burn out the bulb.
Bad news: You probably burned out the fuse that handles the taillight / parking light.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
sounds like you might have blown a fuse when you first contacted the wires. before you go further, I would check your fuses.
MM

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuses are ok. Thanks DrunkenMonkey. I can see I wired it up wrong. My lamp is dead. I really think it's burned out. I'll see how it goes when I get the new bulb.

G

·
Weird that the lamp would burn out. Stock one is 55/60W, so I can't imagine there'd be a problem inherent with the ducati setup.

BTW: I've attached a wiring diagram.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's what it looks like mounted.

I've posted another shot from further away in the 'Bikes of the DML' if you want to see the full effect.

I haven't wired it up yet. Still waiting on the new bulb.

The lamp came with two brackets for vertical and horizontal adjustment. I had to drill and tap threads into that piece that sits in front of the bottom triple.

Oh and thx for the wiring diagram DM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts