Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the carbon tail kit from Guido at Shift-Tech. I have a 1999 Monster M900S. I disassembled the bike down as described in the instructions. Once I had it down, I noticed the rear subframe section on my model is different than the one pictured in the installation instructions. After looking carefully, it seems as though this kit may not fit my bike. Has anyone else had any problems with installing this tail kit? My seat latch cable runs through the right rear section of the subframe, curves back forward, then runs up through the left rear section of the subframe. Before I cut anything I called Guido and he directed me here to see if anyone else on the site has ran into this with this model. Help me out if you can. I appreciate any input. Sitting at computer waiting for reply.......

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can take pictures and post if anyone needs to see what I'm talking about.....

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
some of the newer ones had a different latch all together and did not have to have the cable routed thru the frame ends. I don't know which tail kit you're referring to, but some folks just do away with the key lock and put a simple short cable pull in to unlock the latch.
post some pics of the kit. MM

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ciao,

this tail are made for monster from 2000 to now

your 99 Monster need a tail like this

If you don´t want to change the tail order the other one

Let me know if you need help

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris -- Thanks for the reply. Yes I need help. Please clarify what you mean by changing the tail.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no problem with cutting the rear of the subframe. The instructions stated to cut 85mm off the end of the frame. Before I did so, I looked carefully to see if everything would line up. It looks like it will not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll take pics and post soon...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the rear subframe area. I've removed the tail section, tail light, and turn signals. Notice how the seat latch cable is located in the frame members.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The instructions state to cut 85mm off the end of the subframe. As you can see in this picture, 85mm would cut too much away.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next I held the lower section of the tail kit beside the frame to verify fitment. If I line up two holes in the carbon piece with the holes in the subframe as shown, notice how far forward the front holes would be in relation to the seat latch mounting holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok everyone. Now you can see what's going on. Anyone have any ideas of what this fitment issue is? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
the two holes by your thumb, can those holes line up to the bracket on your frame? maybe the two front holes on your plate bracket doesn't get used? personally, I wouldn't use the plate bracket. I would just use the tail and make two small L brackets for the plate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes the two holes by my thumb line up with the two holes that would be left in the beer tray after cutting. The problem is if I attach the tag holder using those holes, the four threaded rivots that hold the tail piece to the tag holder would be too far forward. Two reasons I want to use the tag holder are it mounts the tag light and it serves as a splash/debris guard.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
you might just have to drill new holes wherever you want the tag holder to sit. sorry, it's hard helping without actually seeing it for myself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts