Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a new leather jacket, something around $300 or so, found the Olympia vortech to look pretty good and seems to be versitile with full liner and perferated areas/vents.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the Alpinestars TZ-1 that -Q- is thinking about. Highly recommended. The fit is rather slim (good for me, not good for you if you're "big boned") as you will see if you go to Alpinestars' website and download the tech pdf. It has decent armor (unlike the Ducati Historical Jacket that bdfinally linked to), though I would recommend buying a real back protector to replace the foam back pad it comes with. I feel very protected when I wear it (it weighs in at 10lbs with my T-Pro back protector in it!), but it is still very comfortable to wear. Kevlar stretch panels are a nice touch. It also zips to pants.

Venting is good for all conditions - not too hot, not too cool - good if you only have one jacket. Perforations are along the collarbones. It has a zip-in quilted liner. I will say that on a couple of high 90 degree days here I certainly got hot when not moving quickly, but I don't think many other leather jackets would have been any better (except a full-perf). My only complaint is I wish it had some sort of reflective material on the back (only has it on neck and sleeves). It can be had for around $280 and it's available in red/black/white 02s4monster. The Ducati Historical Jacket looks cool, but the leather is quite light and I wouldn't expect it to protect me as well.

EDIT ---

By the way, I have a friend that just crash tested his TZ-1 and he said it protected him very well and held up just fine

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I have a TZ-1 as well.. it rocks. sort of an 'all around' jacket for me. I have the FirstGear Kenya (or is it the Kilimanjaro) as well.. but haven't used it since I got the TZ-1.

·
Registered
1 Posts
02s,

An alternative is the Corsa Jacket. I have a yellow one and I really love it. I think you can get it perforated as well, although, I am in Tampa and I really haven't been too hot in it during the summer using just the arm vents. Don't get me wrong, baking at a redlight is a given down here whether you are wearing a jacket or not.
I also like it because I haven't seen another one out there yet. My buddy as an Alpinestars (not sure of the model) and it is a quality jacket as well.

I am including a link to the Corsa website and there is a jacket that you would probably like (red, black, silver).

http://www.corsa.com/showroom.htm

By the way, I don't have a monster yet, but I joined the board because I am going to buy one. I am going to get out of the 'sportbike' thing and into a monster, hopefully within 6 months. WOooo Hoooooo ;D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thank you for your input, I think I am going to get this one...

·
Registered
206 Posts
i have a vanson full-perf Cobra2...great! nice for those hot days (actually chilly at 75mph on a 90* day) and with a liner, great for colder days.

cheers!
steve

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I have an A-stars GPU suit, which is of similar construction. It's very nice leather and excellent quality construction; equal quality to Dainese. And hey, Alpinestars is Italian...
That's a nice one. Does it have any convenience features at all? I don't see any pockets, zippers, nothing. What do you use for carrying the small stuff, keys, cash, cell? How's the ventilation? Does it have any size adjustments?

I guess this is a general question about jacket+pants vs suits, since the thread was originally about jackets. Do you find the suit to be practical enough to be a replacement for a jacket, assuming sport more than sport-touring?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts