Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed my new bike search down to either an m800 or a m1000. I am bitterly selling a '03 883 harley because of it's weight problem and lack of power. I like the 800 but don't want to ride it for 2 months and say I should have gotten the 1000. The dealer wants to treat me right on the 1000 also. I have 8 years of riding under my belt so being a rookie isn't a problem.
Any opinions?
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
403 Posts
The 800 is nice but the 1000 is much better IMO.
Spend the extra cash if you can, you will not regret it.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
So buy the M1000 already.

You won't be sorry you bought it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Having ridden both a 1200 Sportster and an M900 the choice is obvious. A friend and I swapped bikes for a day and I dismounted the HD with a need to get back on the Duc. The Monster had better power delivery, brakes as if the hand of God was stopping you, and no excessive vibrations.
The Monster 900 was my choice, hands down, after having ridden a Yamaha Virago beater bike during college. The M1000 was not available at the time or I would have jumped on that one. In short, if you have 8 years riding experience under your belt, you should know your limits and be mature enough to have fun and lust daily after the M1000.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Clearly the 1000, based on your experience and previous ride. Also, take a look at used S4s. The used prices for LOW mileage S4s are blowing me away; thousands less than new 1000s, even less than 800s.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard a few too many horror stories about the S4 to pony up that much extra $. I would buy used but feel a heck of a lot better knowing how every mile was put on, and a warranty on this expensive of a toy is great too. You guys convinced me to get a m1000, any help with my wife? I'm starting to think Ducati means divorce in Italian.....
Nick ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is not too difficult to chose from 1000 or 800.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This one was easy Nick, the M1000 is the bike for you. Regarding the Dragon Lady, we can not help you there, we work with Monsters, Monster Bikes that is, not Monster females, all I can say is this; a man who can not exercise domestic leadership, will not be allowed to buy a M1000.
Safe ride mate.

Slim

·
Registered
287 Posts
You should check around, there may still be "new" S4's in the show room. I got mine in june '03 zero miles, for $300 more than 1000... and I don't know what horror stories you are speaking of??? I haven't had any problems with mine, and only stories I have heard of affect all monsters... i.e. the leaky battery and maintenance. Sure the S4 maintenance is more than on a 2 valve, but I personally believe that the difference between 2 valves and 4 valves is worth a couple hundered bucks every 6000 miles. Besides, you had a harley, so you shouldn't be a virgin to spending $$$ on your bike...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess you're right, harley does like to take your money, and a lot of it. Anybody care to share what M1000's are selling for on their area? I don't know how much I can haggle or when to just bite the bullet. My dealer will go into the low 10k, maybe more but I don't know, we havn't goten to into it yet.
Nick

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 1000DS is a much better designed motor than the 800s or the 900s. The heads are significantly more thermally efficient and the bike makes significantly more torque in a mild state of tune (cams in particular are pretty mild).

You should be able to find a leftover M1000S for about 10K. If you hustle, you can take advantage of the Ducati financing. For example,0.9% for 36 months (low rates good to Feb 29).

I just bought an 03 M1000S on those terms. Very good Deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts