Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
superbongos said:
oooh I get to be the first one to say it!?

REPOST!

(ah that felt good)
think you could make an exception for safety reminders? ::)
we have all seen too many riders go down and should be reminded to gear up.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
wow, youd think after all that ordeal she would be smart enough to buy some GOOD QUALITY, and ACTUALLY PROTECTIVE GEAR!!

i mean, cmon, ICON jackets say right on the inside of the chest in bold writing that they are not to be considered as protective equipment....

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Randall said:
wow, youd think after all that ordeal she would be smart enough to buy some GOOD QUALITY, and ACTUALLY PROTECTIVE GEAR!!

i mean, cmon, ICON jackets say right on the inside of the chest in bold writing that they are not to be considered as protective equipment....
Umm, I was wearing an ICON SuperDuty Jacket and pants when I went down and that jacket was hardly touched. And btw, it doesn't say that ANYWHERE on my jacket.  ::)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Mine either

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Oh and another note about my ICON jacket, the elbow and shoulder armor are CE rated. So much for not being "protective gear" ::)

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I just checked my Icon as well and no mention of it not being protective gear. Good thing too because I had it on when I crashed in June. It saved my a**. The jacket held up pretty well too, just a small hole in the elbow.

By the way, in case you missed it. There was a recent ad for Icon in all the major magazines telling you how safe their jackets are. There were pictures of this jacket that had obviously been involved in a crash and a testimonial from the rider that was wearing it when he crashed.

So Randall, lay off the alcohol, I think it's effecting your eyesight. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the **** I went through myself, except I had on my gear. Good for Brittany [clap]. I think getting back on the bike was the best therapy I put myself through also. Remember that everytime we get on our rides, that we have to accept the fact that **** happens. It's what we do to protect ourselves is what is important.
MM

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
So I post the 1st one up on a squid I work with's page, I said read this and tell me your thoughts. His reply "Gotta pay to play".

·
Registered
233 Posts
Jen Italia said:
So I post the 1st one up on a squid I work with's page, I said read this and tell me your thoughts. His reply "Gotta pay to play".
I wonder if the idiot will feel the same way after that roadrash is on his body somewhere.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There's a another site with a lot of photos of the resutls of bike accidents - www.ride2die.com (the site is very, very graphic, and may not be work-safe for some places - so you can copy and paste the link if you want to see it)

I had a look and spent some time afterwards thining about protective gear and my attitude to risk. I'm still in two minds about the value of the site. It is worth being periodically reminded that riding a bike is inherently more dangerous than driving a car. What would be a minor accident in a car can be a major accident on a bike. We do become complacent after a while, and need a shock to remind us to be careful.

On the other hand, the site is so graphic that I: a) question its intent; and b) would not want to be distracted by the images when I should be concentrating on minimising the risk on the road.

As a result, I would be more inclined to wear full leathers on a country run (where a crash is likely to be high speed), and perhaps Icon style body armour for some city runs. I can't see myself strapping body armour for the 15 minute run to work, but that is perhaps when I might need it.

High speeds on public roads is another issue. I'm frequently guilty of it, and it raises the risk to myself and other road users - no matter how much I try to do it 'safely'.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Templar said:
I wonder if the idiot will feel the same way after that roadrash is on his body somewhere.
He's wrecked I think 4 times already. But he's been riding more years than I have (even though I've done way more miles and never been down) so he has way more expirience "on the scene" than I do. I mentioned "maybe the squid scene" and he said " what's that supposed to mean"? haha

You can lead a horse to water.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts