Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the big welcome. Now I need help. I got the ugly silver labels off with fingernails and my favorite solvent -- white gas -- I can just see the Federal regulation: "There shall be securely affixed to every motorcycle in a conspicuous place a statement that it complies with these emission regulations, CFR 123.662-719, and that no modification shall be made which will cause said motorcycle to be in violation thereof."

Now the reflectors on the fork have to go. How do I get them off without marring the finish?

Thanks.

Tommy T.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Twist them off or simply pull them off. They are stuck on with double-sided tape. If adhesive remains on the fork remove it with Goo Gone or another brand of adhesive remover. Your "white gas" will probably do the trick.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ebrparish said:
Twist them off or simply pull them off. They are stuck on with double-sided tape. If adhesive remains on the fork remove it with Goo Gone or another brand of adhesive remover. Your "white gas" will probably do the trick.
Double sided tape. Aha. With that I can deal.

My finger nails wish to express thanks for the plastic putty knife idea as well!

Thanks a lot.

Tommy T.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
if your fingers aren't tough enough to twist & pull them off, try dental floss. i did my that way and they came off without marring the fork or leaving any of the glue residue behind. use good flossing technique and "waxed/mint" is the key. [laugh]

·
Registered
665 Posts
Capt baz said:
if your fingers aren't tough enough to twist & pull them off, try dental floss. i did my that way and they came off without marring the fork or leaving any of the glue residue behind. use good flossing technique and "waxed/mint" is the key. [laugh]
+1
Used this technique many a time, lifting badges from uncommon cars in my more irresponsible years.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If its cold enough, they will just pop right off. Mine practically fell off when I poked at them saying I should take them off. They were MUCH easier than the frame stickers. They left no residue also.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

Much easier than the stickers. No residue at all. I just grabbed the reflectors with vice grips and they popped right off. Then the trwo-sided tape peeled cleancly and easily.

Bike looks much better!

Tommy T.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
yikes!!!!!!! vice grips???? those things belong in junkyards or possibly on a wrecker. i hope you never use those again on a motorcycle. :'(

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I pulled mine long ago. If you do have some residue left over, you can use some WD-40 to get rid of it. Worked for me. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
454 Posts
i used vice grips to tighten an exhaust tip because i couldnt get my fingers in the little space. I love vice grips. Possibly my favorite tool. they are like a 3rd hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.