Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing intermittent problems starting my Monster. I have a 2000 Monster 750 that is carbeurated. I ride every day within SF and usually take it out on the road on the weekend.

The problem started a few months back when I went to start it one morning. I got on, went through my normal routine, opened up the choke, and then it didn't want to turn over. The first time it sounded like it was going to turn over but didn't. I tried a few more times and then it backfired. I turned it off, sat for a minute and gave it another shot and it started right up. That evening, I had the same problem so took it to the shop to see if the battery or the charging system was the problem. Everything seemed fine and we replaced the battery just to be safe, as it was over a year old (but of unknown age).

Since then, I discovered that it is best to use very little choke when I start it up cold, and that's been fine until today when I started having the same problem again. One of my friends recently told me it smelled like I am running a bit on the "rich" side.

So.... any thoughts? I don't know much about "rejetting" but I assume the idea is that the jets in the carbeurator might starting providing too much fuel to the engine? Or is it that they don't provide enough oxygen? However, my understanding is that this would be related to when I'm running at high RPMs, not when I'm idling.

Is there a way to rule out that it's a problem with the starter itself? Could it be the ignition switch?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
If the bike is cranking well it is not the starter, the battery or the charging system. If you take it to the a shop don;t tell them what to check. Describe the problem and symptoms. If they need to be told what to check you need to go to a different shop. Your problem has to be ignition or fuel. When was the last time the bike was serviced? Have you looked at the spark plugs? You also might want to move this to tech if you want to do the work yourself.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I'm wondering if the vacuum petcock is leaking fuel to the horizontal cylinder.

While the needle jets might need replacing they wouldn't, or shouldn't have an impact on start-up.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got 18,000 miles on it at this point. My last full service was at 12,000 although I had it in October (about 2,500 miles ago) when I dropped it. At that time we replaced a bunch of hardware including the timing gear, an oil change, and the battery was replaced late October/Early November as were the spark plugs. I had the oil sensor replaced on Xmas eve as it started leaking on me when I rode down to LA for Xmas vacation. I had no trouble with it in LA other than that item (and dropping it a few times in soft dirt -- which is a long, fun, exciting story).

As you can see, I probably use it a bit hard but I try to keep it maintained by the shop as much as I can.

We replaced the spark plugs because they we a bit black but they didn't look bad (and they said as much, too).

I don't believe that I've ever had it rejettted. That's not part of standard service, unless I'm mistaken.

I agree I shouldn't need to tell the shop what I think the problem is, but, at the very least, I would like to have an idea about the potential source of the problem. I would like to learn to work on it myself, eventually.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
First thing I'd do is get a workshop manual. It will have a basic troubleshooting section that will at least help you to understand what the dealer might be doing with your bike.

...(and dropping it a few times in soft dirt -- which is a long, fun, exciting story).
When you get the time can you post the story in the General Monster Forum?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am definitely going to get a service manual. I am also going to get a battery tender and a spare battery. The reason for the spare battery is that I park my bike on the street so I don't really have a way to keep it on the tender overnight. I might have to look into renting that garage space downstairs after all.

It looks like my problems are definitely related to the charging system. A friend and I planned to go for a ride this morning. Since I was having trouble getting the bike to turn over, I had him bring jumper cables. After a minute of charging from his bike, mine started right up. When I shut it off later, though, it still had no charge. None. Nada. Wouldn't even try to start; no click; no light; zilch. Fortunately, we were on a slope and I just coasted down to get it started. Left it on a hill when we went to get lunch for the same reason and had to bump start it again by rolling down the slope.

Later in the afternoon, however, it seems like all went back to normal. I noticed that my instrument lights were brighter and the RPM gauge didn't wiggle up and down when I was idling with the turn signal engaged. I got to his house and it was fully charged and started right up after I shut it off. We put a battery tender on it but it said we were completely charged. Left it on the charger until after dinner and at the moment, it's fine.

Pain in the arse, I tell you.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Check your ground cable from the battery to where it bolts to the frame. Also, check your power cable from the battery into the big connector a bit below the battery box. I had similar issues with my '99 M750 and it turned it to be a loose power cable in the connector AND a loose ground cable. It was keeping the battery from charging properly & delivering good power for startup. I've got 27,000 miles on my '99 ~

JM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts