Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying either a pretty much stock 2001 Monster 900 or a 1998 Monster 900 with a few performance enchancements (high compression pistons and perf exhaust). I'm wondering whether someone can tell me the difference in riding a fuel injected Monster vs a carbed. Any other thoughts on which bike is a better ride (and why) is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Re: Need advice on buying a Monster 900-1998 vs 20

This may not be what you are looking for, but you might think about this if you haven't. Unless you know the owners of the bikes well, I would go with the 2001. The 900, besides being older, has performance mods and USUALLY people do not make those mods unless they plan to use the bike in that fashion.

I vote 2001, but there are too many unknowns for me to make an accurate judgement.

About the FI and the carbed, I have heard positives about both, but more towards the FI. Have and FI monster myself and love it, but either way it is a Ducati.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I'd probably lean towards the 2001. The fact that the '98 has high comp pistons etc. scares me a little. They may be high quality components installed by a good mechanic...but who knows really. I personally like to start with a clean slate if possible, and pick (and install) my own mods. Plus the obvious fact that the '01 has three years less wheelies and burn-outs under its belt.

Carb vs. FI is a toss-up. Some prefer carb, some FI, probably based mainly on what their bike has. Mine has FI, and I like it. It runs excellent and with the powercommander, it can be tuned to match any mods just like carbs can.

I'm not exactly familiar with the chronology, but I think around '01 the monster got stronger head bolts and motor mount bolts too.

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts

I have a 2000 M900, the first year for FI. My bike will start with no problems when its 10 degrees outside, and to me that just rocks. Ive always disliked carbs. Then again, i don't have too much experience with them, or at least experiences that were good :)

Kevin

·
Premium Member
558 Posts

I have a 99 900 and I bought it from a dealer and the people who traded it in were close friends of the owner. I lucked out and it was totally stock and the guys wife rode it. The back tire was basically new on the sides but the center was ridden almost away, all she did was ride it, never beat it and I love it! I agree with themagicalswitch and go with the 2001. You will be better off.

As for carbs vs. f i I like the carbs but some of the MOCHA boys I ride with have the f i and they love that. Good luck

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

I don't try to start my '99 when it's 10 degrees out. However, I do find it lights right off when it's 20 out!

I like the carbs with one significant exception; I have terrible carb icing problems when it's about 40 degrees out. This problem is a big reason I'd like to swap out to Keihin FCRs.

An injected bike will have no such trouble (nor will a carbed bike ridden exclusively in Southern California).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts