Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in my gas tank today and noticed alot of rust. My fuel filter also shows signs of a rusty gas tank.
Does anyone know of a good source for a monster gas tank?
I have a 1994 but I am not sure how many years use the same tank.
Just checked Ebay and only saw one with a big dent in it.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Carbon fiiber tanks are running in the $1000-1200 range right now. I'm planning on picking one up from MotoWheels to replace my dented tank as soon as the lame @ss insurance company pays me. Hopefully I won't have to sue...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW :eek: thats alot more than I was planning on spending. I just need the regular ole metal kind. I can paint it if its not my favorite color.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
There's a kit that you can buy to treat a rusty tank and then coat it to prevent future rust. I forget who makes it (white and blue liquid), but when I worked at a bike shop, I had some customers buy it and like the results. If I found out what it is, I'll re-post.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a bad route to take, thanks for the info. I would still rather just get a second one, that way I dont have to be bikeless during the whole process. I think I would have to let that stuff dry for a long time before I would feel comfortable runnin gas through the tank again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
DTMsurf, I have a gas tank for sale. It's currently primered and ready for paint. I don't have the hardware, but you can just use the hardware you currently have. I bought it for my 96 m900. It should fit 94-99 m900/750. Make me an offer.

Nic

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nic, I sent you an Email

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
the CF tanks are clear coated... picked one up the other day at Ducati Marin... it was pretty light
Picked one up as in purchased? Or just hefted it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I got lucky ;D I was looking information about gas tank I have and this forum pretty much answered all the questions.

On the front bage there is that featured bike, my gas tank finishing looks same as that, so is it painted CF? or CF tank only comes like that.

Also I'm planning to list it on ebay, what should I put for the price, I saw some one said new one is 1000-1200 or so my smells little bit gas so I assume it used and it has some scratches.

Thanks, Vesa

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've got a spare one that I've repaired, treated with POR-15, & primered so it's ready for paint. You can have it for $260. Your exsisting tank can be easily fixed, buy a motorcycle kit of POR-15 & follow the instructions. The end result will be better than it was new. DO NOT USE KREEM!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Norm, thanks. I may be interested. I made an offer on the one Nic has but if that does not work out I will give you a shout.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts