Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone does to keep their neck warm when riding in the morning to work . tried it this morning and thought that my neck was going to get frostbite. are there any motorcycle related product's.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I haven't tried anything yet, but I was thinking a balaclava would work well. It would have to be a thin one though, like the ones used for auto racing, so that it can fit under the helmet and tuck comfortably into your jacket collar.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Got two neck thingies and strong opinions about each.

One's a windproof bike specialty product with a Bikers label on it. Size "L." Bought it at a BMW shop for quite a few bucks in preparation for a ride last June. It is windproof, and long enough to put the top under the helmet strap. No wind in, pretty effective. And it's small enough that it tucks into an inside pocket of my jacket.

The other I bought at a farm implement store in North Dakota when I forgot to bring the first one along and the temperature had dropped to 32F. It cost $3. The tag says Schuesser Knitting and it's a fuzzy kind of polyester fleece. It's bulky, also long enough to go up into the helmet. This one is comfy. Like a bulky windproof scarf that Mommy put on me to go out to play in the snow. And because it's bulky, it seals the neck of the jacket too. But it doesn't fit a pocket as well.

I'd recommend looking in TSC or other farm store.

-Don

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Re: neck warmers

I just got a Buff (http://www.buff.es/) at the International Motorcycle Show in San Mateo last Saturday. I haven't tried it yet on a motorcycle (because I don't currently have a working motorcycle and couldn't ride one right now if I did), but I'm sure it's just what I've been looking for.

They offer enough styles and color choices to please just about anyone. I got a dark blue plain one, but they have all sorts of patterns including flames.

They can cover just the neck, or as much of your head as you want and aren't real bulky. It's exactly what I've been looking for.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I got a balaclava from Aerostich. Nice cos it covers the entire head incl the chin. Small enough to fit in ANY pocket. Good only for SoCal "winters", if it gets real cold I wear that plus a fleece sweater of which I pull the collar up from underneath my leather jacket to cover the neck. Saw some really nifty, high-tech face masks when I was in Germany, but didn't think I was going to need one here in Cali.

-R.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have a neck band - kind of a fleece thing. Got it from a local motorcycle gear shop. Plenty warm. Not too big.

This is the manufacturers web site:
http://www.schampa.com/
Look under "Neckgaiters". I think I have the one called a "neckie".

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I have 2 by this company, and love them. They also do great designs in the fabric.

http://www.mymugz.com/

·
Registered
116 Posts
Whatever people end up doing, I wouldn't fasten a chinstrap over any clothing. Once met a guy who was riding with a scarf passing under his chinstrap, which just happened to be the day he got into an accident. The strap rode over the scarf; the helmet lifted up just enough to let pavement through. He needed reconstructive surgery to put his jawbone back together.

Personally, I use a ring, cut from the sleeve of an old polarfleece pullover. I cut off about eight inches' worth, then fold it over once and stretch it over my head. The taper from the sleeve forms a little "spout," which goes under my chin (over the strap, of course). Any excess material tucks under the cheekpads of my helmet, to keep the wind out.

The real limiting factor for me are fingers and toes, but that's another thread. Looking to make homemade handguards- guerilla biking, baby!
Rene Carlos

M

·
0 Posts
i found this fleece necktube dohicky at a ski shop up in taos... i think its made by black diamond. it doubles as a head warmer when the lid is off. it's the shiznet down to about low thirties upper twenties. plus it's real flexible so it lets you move your head around freely but stretches over everything. i also have this leather face mask that stops all wind but don't care for it because it feels more like a neck brace. fleece is good stuff...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yea, I got a fleese neck tube type, I think I got it at Sports Authority... In the snowboard/skiing section. Noting special, but it works... Was thinking of getting something else, but its not a huge priority.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Riderwarehouse also has the glove liners by "bikers" that are supposed to be really warm!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use a product made of Windtech. We used to call them "dickies" when I was a kid..........Uh oh, I bet Herb is going to make a comment on that! ;D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
A friend gave me this idea last week when I had to ride on a 34 degree windy day in Chicago. Get a stocking hat/ski hat, whatever and cut the top off. Pull it down to your neck and wahlaa! I tucked it into my sweatshirt and it looked like a turtle neck. It was the BEST thing I coulda done that day. Double gloves, double socks, jeans, nylon panyts, t-shirt, 2 sweatshirts, jacket...but the hat over the neck was the saving grace. If not for that, my 30 minute ride woulda been terrible!! Yeah I know, it's kinda cheesey, but it is dirt a$$ cheap!! And warm as hell too.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Just got one of the fleece necktubes at a SportChalet here in SoCal.
Warm - Yes.
Comfortable - Yes.
Stylish - No.

Got a fleece balaclava too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts