Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me can't figure out these plastic pieces/debris and metal shavings in the oil filter screen.

I am probably going to have to swap the engine but before I do wanted to know (maybe someone out there can recognize) what the pieces are or where they are from. I've searched everywhere but most of the debris are metal or aluminum. I also looked at the parts fiche to identify the possible part but nothing even comes close.

Bike is a 2012 696 with 31k miles that I recently bought with a broken alternator cover (per PO) thinking that was the only issue. When I replaced the cover it fired right away but didn't sound right like something was grinding not like ticking or knocking.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Have a look inside old broken cover, is the alternator section still in it? possibly broken parts of the stator windings.

·
Registered
310 Posts
How was the casing broken? from a fall, or something like rear drive chain breaking.
Any chance of a clearer picture. lay out on paper maybe, it is a bit blurry from this end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How was the casing broken? from a fall, or something like rear drive chain breaking.
Any chance of a clearer picture. lay out on paper maybe, it is a bit blurry from this end.
The PO said it was broken from a fall but now that I think about it I suspect he tried removing the alternator cover w/o a proper tool and broke it by force. He had frame sliders and it would be the first contact unless he hit a curb or something. Good point regarding picture. I've attached a better one for reference.

Feeling like a forensic detective at this point.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is weird. How's the clutch working?
Sometimes has a hard time getting in first but other than that works fine. Really weird because I can't find an internal component resembling the piece of plastic. I obviously stopped using it by now and have been searching for a used engine but I am really curious to know what the plastic pieces are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The PO said it was broken from a fall but now that I think about it I suspect he tried removing the alternator cover w/o a proper tool and broke it by force. He had frame sliders and it would be the first contact unless he hit a curb or something. Good point regarding picture. I've attached a better one for reference.

Feeling like a forensic detective at this point.
Looks like either part of the alternator as previously mentioned or part of the sound dampener from inside the clutch cover, item # 18 in the attached image.
Part number you need is 48610721A
If you pull the clutch cover this part sits behind a metal plate (#19 in the image) attached to the inside of the clutch cover. The rest of it will probably be floating around inside the cover.

If it is part of the alternator which is most likely, the part number for that is 26440222A, you'll probably find a good used one on EBay or similar.
Here's one for starters: DUCATI 2012 MONSTER 696 ABS GENERATOR DENSO STATOR FLYWHEEL 26440222A | eBay
and: 26440222A | eBay

Edit: The more I look at it and given what you already know about the bike, I'm thinking you're correct regarding your assumption that the PO has tried to pull the alternator cover without the correct tool and broken it. The only other reasonable sized plastic parts that could make their way into the sump that I can think of are either that sound dampener I mentioned above or the oil strainer. But your pics look more like that bakelite sort of stuff that is used for insulating the stator.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like either part of the alternator as previously mentioned or part of the sound dampener from inside the clutch cover, item # 18 in the attached image.
Part number you need is 48610721A
If you pull the clutch cover this part sits behind a metal plate (#19 in the image) attached to the inside of the clutch cover. The rest of it will probably be floating around inside the cover.
Thanks for the well thought out response. If I have time today I'll remove the clutch cover to see what is going on in there. The "sound dampener" might be suspect although after doing research found a picture: DUCATI ENGINE CASE CLUTCH-SIDE SOUND ARRESTER RUBBER DAMPER CRANKCASE 48610721A | eBay
The plastic piece is not flat and is dark brown unless they came out in a another color. There's also the sprocket looking teeth that has me baffled. I've rebuilt engines before and the only thing that resemble this are chain guides and tensioners which this bike does not have aside form the belt pulleys.

Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Might have found the culprit or if not another issue I have to deal with but I am almost certain I've identified the problem. Took the clutch cover off and didn't find any debris of the mysterious dark brown plastic pieces but upon further inspection noticed the main bearing 70240931A behind the oil pump sprocket could be moved and didn't seem normal, I looked closely and discovered ball bearings loose by themselves which made the grinding noise that caught my attention. I searched for the type of bearing it was, lo and behold, it had the dark brown molded plastic pieces holding the ball bearings together which looks exactly like the pieces I found.

Looks like I am going to have to split the case as I don't see any way of installing the bearing from the outside because of the lip that's holding it from inside and maybe held in place by a thrust washer.

Any chance one of you gentlemen have a pdf workshop manual for a 2012 Monster 696 handy?

Thank you all for your input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
That bearing race sure looks like your debris. Right down to the little round, column-like, sticking up vertically in the close up of the bearing.

Now to determine the cause of the failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeah. It was hard to get a sense of size and scale of the pieces from the photos, but it seems like a perfect match now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts