Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a nail in my rear tire Sunday as I was putting my bike up after the weekend ride. Not too pleased about it. Have no idea how long I've been riding with it. All I know is I don't want to leave it in...it is holding air though. So, I am assuming I need a new tire. Correct? Any fixes otherwise?

G

·
I had the same problem one summer when I was just about to leave for Holliday. I had a quick fix at my dealers. It worked o.k. the whole season. It is not recommended though and in some countries not legal and there is a potential risk at high speed. Better with a new tire.

Slim

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Have a tire shop install a plug/patch & it will be fine. Avoid prolonged 100+mph runs.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Norm, long runs over 100 aren't a problem. The wind at those speeds isn't very fun on a naked bike so when I do top 100 it isn't for long anyway. But I do have some track days planned soon. The tire has 2700 miles on it. The plug/patch still a good option?

G

·
The plug/patch is an option but not a good one. I did it because I was half way through the season and the year after I had a major service coming up, cam belts, new tires, everything. I noticed that the fix became more and more visible through out the season, like a small bump in tire. That worried me a bit, but it worked. I bought a repair kit and took my chances, so could you.

Slim

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well,

I don't mean to cast negative energy on anyone, but I just can't see letting something with the potential to cause a problem go. I wouldn't wanna be kissing asphalt because I let the crucial element that contacts the road go to save some $$$. You can "probably" let it go, but I don't like dating Miss Probability....

My .02: New tire. Maybe I'm just mental, but something like that would nag/bug me.

--Worrying Tom--

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I have had this experience twice, just last month on my Monster. I opted in my conservative way to put a new tire on. I would hate to have a problem with a repaired tire at highway (or above) speeds. If I were to get one fixed, patching is what is prefered on radials, not plugging.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Go for a new tire.

I had a similar experience last year and replaced the OEM "Dragon" with a Diablo. Great tire... ;)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
There are lot's of worriers out there, but if you do a proper plug/patch, you can just use it forget about it. If any of you guys want to throw out tires that half at least 50% tread left, please send them to me & let me use them up. I fix them myself & have never had a problem I don't do track days anymore, but I would stand by my rule of "as long as you don't sustain speeds over 100mph".

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
There are lot's of worriers out there, but if you do a proper plug/patch, you can just use it forget about it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I am new to motorcycling so I had no frame of reference for this situation. I'd be inclined to use a patch for street use but I do have some track days coming up.

In fact I did a track day on Sunday with the nail in the tire! Trust me when I say it was unintentional. I was putting the bike on the trailer at the end of the day when I noticed it. I didn't check the tires before hit the track. Next time I will since I am sure the nail probably came from my yard. I did a lot of construction at my house so I am 99% positive that is where I picked up the nail. Anyway, the bike made it through tech and the tech guy even checked my air pressure. I had to roll the bike forward a good bit for him to get to the valve so he should have caught it. I'd hate to think that I picked it up on the track!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Get a tire patch kit from an auto shop or Target or Walmart, for that matter, and repair it yourself. I have a truck and 4 wheel often. I have repaired my tires ALOT of times. Here is how you do it: 1. Remove the nail. 2. Insert the rasp/file (included) to roughen up the rubber. 3. Insert the plug into the enclosed tool (most plugs are pre-vulcanized). 4. Insert plug completely into hole using the tool and pull out tool (the tool automatically severs the plug when you remove it). 5. Add air to tire (no waiting). This is exactly the same system the garages use. I never had any problems and I have repaired the same tire many times. The tire seals itself around the plug permanently. Its taken me longer to describe how to do it than to fix the tire.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
With 2700 miles, I would get a new tire. Of course, with an M900, I probably wore tires out faster than you could on a 620. The most I ever got from a rear was 4000 miles, with the worst being 2500 on a BT-010. (That tire stuck well right up to the end, though).

If the tire is at least half gone, just replace it. Otherwised have a plug put in. Don't stick a patch on it, though, because tires flex too much for patches to be reliable.

However, it is my opinion that the worst that can happen with a patched tire, assuming it was a small hole to begin with, is that you'll have a slow leak. You're not likely to get a catastrophic loss of air.

I vote for replacement.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
And a related story:

The only time I ever patched a tire on the Monster, I ran over something just a week later and punctured the same tire again. I took that as a sign that the tire needed to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Sorry, but that is a really cheasy way to repair a motorcycle tire & I wouldn't ride on that for any longer than it would take to do a proper repair. The plug/patch that I'm talking about, looks like a coventional patch but with a projectile coming out of the center of it. It can only be installed from the inside. Again, a plug inserted from the outside should ONLY be considered a temporary, low speed repair.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm speaking from the truck world, and I have no problem with plugging my truck tires. I've never had to plug my motorcycle tires, but with the 100% success rate I've had with my truck I'm inclined to try it out. I've put over 60,000 miles on a set of truck tires. Wouldn't try running motorcycle tires with 60,000 miles. We are talking about the tread, right? Sidewall holes are unrepairable in my book. Just so we are straight about this, a plug is a solid tube and a patch is something you would put on an inner tube. I would never patch a tire.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
at itRe: Nail In Tire

Right, tread area, no sidewall repairs. I'm probably not describing the plug/patch very well, you should buy one & after looking at it I'm sure you'll understand what I mean. Think of it as a plug with a patch as part of it that inserts from the inside of the tire instead of the outside.

G

·
I would go with a new tire. Yes, it's probably a financial inconvenience, but having peace of mind would win me over. That's just me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I discovered a flat rear tire on my 2002 M750 just last week. Its the coldest part of winter here. I had the dealer pick it up for me. I replaced the rear tire and had the oil and filter changed too. Dealer trailer delivered my bike in the snow yesterday. Set me back $ 279.00.... I replaced the Rear with the stock Dunlop that the bike came with. Matches the front tire. I also had near 4000 miles of hard riding on the rear tire. I figure that I only have about half of that mileage on the front tire. LOL It was probably a wheelie that caused my flat rear tire !!! Love that bike!

I scuffed up the new tire very carefully. We had some milder weather (mid twentys) so I dressed for it. It took about an hour to get the bikes temperature to read 222 degrees. After a lot of careful S turns (watching for ice patches) I warmed the tire up by quick accelleration. Then it was warm enough to grab the cold pavement. I rode a loooong wheelie. I had to get that out of my system. I am seriosly sick of the cold winter. And that felt really good.

So now I'm ready for spring. As for the repair issue. No question. Get a new tire. Its only money. Besides, I don't think a dealer around here would give you the option of repairing a motorcycle tire. Too much liability. My 2 cents.
Later,
JJ

1 - 20 of 27 Posts