Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:'( i got a nail stuck in my rear tire and i was wondering if anyone has a good tire place in hollywood or close by.. i wanna patch it, not go the dealer route of new tire. it is a brand new tire, practically less than 1200 miles on it. by the way, i'm in hollywood california, thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd go to a MC shop & buy a plug type kit & to it yourself. I've done a tire in the past & am currently riding on a plugged rear tire. Opinions may vary, but if you keep speeds semilegal & are not riding 2 up, I can stand the chances of riding on a plug. I use the rubber mushroom plug type. I think one of the keys is to really ream the hole out & use plenty of glue.

The tire I had plugged in the past looked very secure (the plug that is) when I had the tire changed out (for wear) I inspected the plug from the inside & it was very, very solid.

Front tire might make me think twice.

In the past 6 months I've had 2 nails in 2 tires & one bad (cracked) valve stem on a third. No luck whatsoever.

BTW, your original question about a patch (from the inside, like a car) - I don't think any shops will take the liability - even though I think its imagined. Maybe you could get a shop to pull the tire off, you patch it, & they put it back on?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I had a similar situation. Hit a nail around 1000 miles. Pulled the nail, reamed the hole, plugged it. It ran fine and is still holding air even after I got hit by a semi...

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i'm going to pull my rear tire and plug it myself. i just remembered an old used parts motoshop that can remove my tire from the wheel. the sooner i do it, the less tantrum i'll be having. 8)

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
i had one that went in at an angle. It was nasty. I discovered it while at the dealer cruising with my girlfriend. I only had 1500 on the tire, but decided I should replace it. It was about an inch of center of the tire.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Any quality plug is self vulcanizing and will last the life of the tire. The only time a plug is unreliable is in the sidewall. Of course because I am so confident in stating this I can expect a nail sometime next week which will be plugged and then fail. :-[

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
A new tire?! WTF are you thinking!! PLUG IT!! I had a rear with 3 plugs in it last year! I had 3 nails in less than a few weeks apart with <3K on the tire. It lasted me a few thousand more miles.

If it was the front tire, I would have plugged it until I got a new tire and rode it minimally.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I guess I am going against the grain but I got a nail in my tire (left the dealer put 20 miles on it and got the nail..!! :mad:)on my old GSXR and it never sealed. A friend of mine worked at the local Honda dealer and he did it, grinded it sealed it everything was great... I gave it like 200 miles of riding no problems went and hit some curves it leaked about 2~4 lbs a week after that... Decided to suck it up and toss on a new one before I hit the dragon...

I think commuting it might be ok but from my experience I would not want to push it...

·
Registered
890 Posts
same here! I got a nail in my rear tire. I bought a plug kit for 4 bucks and got another 4k miles out of it.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[thumbsup] well, i went to an independent motorcycle shop to buy a tire plug kit and they informed me they plug tires! 4 hours on the internet doing research on my problem... a 5 minute drive was all it took. 58 bux and 30 minutes. i don't race, the nail was in the center of the tread and i use my bike for commuting, felt like it was a reasonable choice. thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I ride every day on a plugged tire. Holds up fine. I went riding on montezuma valley rd one day and pushed it harder than i ever have, showed up a bunch of jap bikes that were much faster than my little s2r 800. including a new r6.

Heres the thing, if the plug fails, its not going to explode, its going to slowly leak until its flat, and you will notice long before that happens.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
3 self serviced plugs in my Huyabusa and still hit 189 MPH numerous times on the highway with it. Got around 5K miles out of the tire. People will normally say not to plug a tire, because they want you to buy another one. Between cars and bikes, I've probably done the plug-job about 80+ times and never had a problem. I usually dab a little rubber cement on the plug before intalling. It makes it slide in easier and ensures a good stick.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
CliveS2R said:
Heres the thing, if the plug fails, its not going to explode, its going to slowly leak until its flat, and you will notice long before that happens.
I was wondering what happens when a plug fails. My dad has never had one fail on him but always said it would be disasterous. ::)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thumper said:
3 self serviced plugs in my Huyabusa and still hit 189 MPH numerous times on the highway with it. Got around 5K miles out of the tire. People will normally say not to plug a tire, because they want you to buy another one. Between cars and bikes, I've probably done the plug-job about 80+ times and never had a problem. I usually dab a little rubber cement on the plug before intalling. It makes it slide in easier and ensures a good stick.
Who are you Burt Munroe? Did you cut the tread off with a carving knife for your high-speed run too? :)

I don't think highways are designed for nearly 200 mph... Plus motorcycle tires flex a lot and shouldn't be plugged. You're gonna die.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts