Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard one of my buddy saying that in some states cops aren't allowed to chase motorcycles. Is this true?

I'm guessing if its is so may be becos in case the rider panicks its may be more hazardous :-\

·
Registered
665 Posts
It's true in Shelby County. They are afraid you'll dump it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Easy way to find out >:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gracie said:
d**n. What?
Well wht i was implying was if the motorcyclist rides rash jus trying to get away isn't ther a higher chance of him/her to get into an accident? not to mention others on the road.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I also think it's more of a local policy than law. Some officers don't chase anyway, but frequently it's left to the individual officer. Some have very good judgement, but some look at chasing a motorcycle as sport, & then they get p!ssed when they get beat.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
NJ put into affect a no chase rule a couple years ago. Too many civilians were getting run over or hurt in the process. Cops are allowed to follow but must use their radios to try to create roadblocks instead. I have a friend on the force here and he said it made things difficult as now it allows the people they are following to get over county/state lines quicker and out of their jurisdiction.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
It vairies from department to department, and even within a department it can vairy. For example, if they are chasing a murder suspect a suspect of some other serious crime.

monstah said:
Well wht i was implying was if the motorcyclist rides rash jus trying to get away isn't ther a higher chance of him/her to get into an accident? not to mention others on the road.
The way I see it, if you run and get hurt, that's your fault.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
pnut said:
It vairies from department to department, and even within a department it can vairy. For example, if they are chasing a murder suspect a suspect of some other serious crime.

The way I see it, if you run and get hurt, that's your fault.
It's less about the Person running, more about the other innocent people on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Vindingo said:
He got bumped like 3 times!!! Also did anyone else notice that he was on the streightest road in the world?!?! You just got to love middle america.
Yeah, I was impressed by 'the longest road with no traffic' that I've ever seen... and it is amazing that the bike didn't go down the last two times...makes me wanna take my hands off the bars all the time.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Drjones said:
Just remember that you can't outrun radios and helicopters no matter how fast your bike is.
I suspect a well-ridden (although, then you probably wouldn't be running) top-line bike (MV F1000R, for example) could outrun some of the helicopters, at least out West where you can see far enough ahead to reach the top speed, but the saying from WAAAAY back in High School is "you can't outrun Motorola".

If you can't afford the fine, don't do the speed (and yes, I know that are a very few cases where you WEREN'T doing it, but got charged anyway, and the court REALLY doesn't care).

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The whole radio/helicopter thing is assuming

1) they have one

2) It is not somewhere else

3) that they are going to burn the fuel and man hours of a helicopter for a speeding ticket

Up here they will chase you

but

Rarely have the man power to catch a bike

In fact several people I know have successfully outran the olice on a bike

that part isn't th hard part

the hard part is hiding for the rest of your life since they pro'lly have your plate number and thus they know where you live

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
monstah said:
Lindsay?? Quit using your blackberry to post here, darlin'.

David B.

·
Registered
129 Posts
1. Even if there is a no chase rule cops tend to chase anyway. It's an ego thing :police:

2. You will get away 9 out of 10 times but the 10th is gonna cost ya BIG!!!

3. Around here they will go across county, city or state lines if they are already chasing you

I know 2 very good riders got caught after they "got away" and were off the bike. It cost at least $5000 in fines and lawers + weekends in jail.

There is a case in upstate NY right now where the cop crashed and died. I heard they are trying to get the guy for manslaughter.

So if you run there's a good chance you'll get away but if you get caught (or worse) it's gonna cost big. Or if you stop there is a small chance you won't get a ticket but it will only cost a couple hundred $.
10 yrs ago I would gamble big, now I'll take my chances that the cop is in a good mood or I'll pay the ticket.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts