Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I get up early, throw my leathers on, and run down to my bike. Fire her up, get on the interstate and 10 minutes in it starts raining. OK. I pull over, throw my rain gear on. No problem. I get to about Worcester when I notice through my limited vision in the driving rain, that instead of seeing a normal odometer and time reading on my instrument cluster, I'm getting the sign of death you see on old calculators/digital watches on their LCD-the dreaded 888888. Hmm. Well, I keep rolling on and finally make it to Rachels place. I meet her and her friend Rick who was on a Harley and we start making our way over to MOT. We stop off to get gas, but when I hit the fire button on my 2 month old Monster, there is no sign of life. OK. Maybe I have my kickstand down. Nope. Oh-maybe I waited more than 10 seconds before hitting fire. Nope. She's not a happy Monster.
After a few feeble attempts to push start it, trying to pop a clutch on a greasy wet gas station concrete drive, we give up and push the bike back to Ricks house.
At this point I'm a little stressed-seeing I DO remember the doomed 888888-dead computer? zapped relay? Hmm.
No time to dwell on it-so we go to MOT.
Awesome show.
POS weather.
We get back to my dead bike, hit fire-nothing.
Ok, so, now I'm looking at a tow, a lengthy repair, crashing overnight in Cambridge, trying to find a ride back home at some point. I'm not happy.
All I'm thinking at this point is-Damn Italians, can they EVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT?!
Rachel and I head back to her place, grab a few sandwiches, apple pie and merangues. I get a call from Rick "Hey, I turned your key and yourX-mas lights are on".
I rush over there, and after 4-5 hours of making calls to Ducati, talking to every Ducati tech at MOT, asking-begging some to swing by the house to check it on their way out of MOT-the mysterious 'problem' is all but dissapeared.
Rick throws the last of his lawn mower gas in the Duc (because I now can NOT trun the bike off until I arrive back at home, over 2 hours away.).
I get to the same gas station this all started at, just slowing for the red light ahead, fairly happy that I'll be making it home safe and sound, when all the sudden I hear a screech and next thing I see is a maroon car graze my left side, coming within microns of slamming in to me, doing 30-40, blowing through the red light and swerving in to oncoming traffic.
HOLY SH!T. My life just flashed before my eyes. The obviously completely loaded or stupid individual continues past the light as if nothing happened. Everyone in the car to the right of me looked over, pale white, and made it clear, if I hadn't noticed this 2 tons of metal graze me, that I was just nearly instantly killed. There was no one behind, nor ahead, just in the right lane to my right. I have never come this close to being hit bad, really bad. And the worst thing was that I never even saw it coming-by the time I heard the screech, it was 'too late'.
My ride home was somber-slower than the usual, and left me thinking a lot.
I'm still not sure what the short/electrical malfunction was/was caused by, but for safe measure I taped up and covered with plastic the entire front end of the bike for the ride home.
Don, sucks we didn't meet up. I wanted to meet your 'Monsters'.
Rachel, thanks for the hospitality and the warm/dry socks.
Rick, you the man for helping me dry the bike with your fans and heaters. And thanks for everything else, including offering me a ride home.
MOT-next time I may just have to drive if it's raining-which I hear is exactly what happens each year.
So, I'm sucking on a frosty and I'm glad to be home, but most of all, alive.
Holy bajeezuz, people, ride safe and keep a look out for electrical glitches and out of control drivers.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: My ride to MOT/and back [kinda long], seriousl

I am glad that you safe. I had invited about 20 people over my house for brunch before we went to the show. After the brunch we are getting ready to leave and I start up the 02M750 and guess what

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Did you find the source of the problem? It's carburated, right? Not fuel injected? A loose plug wire?
My bike is fuel injected, all computers now-all you need is one drop of water to mess things up. The bike has worked perfect for the past 3 days-like nothing ever happened on Sunday. What a PITA!

S

·
0 Posts

wow.... i can't believe you almost got blasted at the light. there really are some absolutely TERRIBLE drivers on the road. where are cops when you need 'em, eh?!?!

i was planning on heading over to the show sunday but with how crappy the weather was, i cancelled. plans were to go over with my wife and son, but i didn't want to drag them through the weather :(

sorry i missed the gig!

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yup, that car almost had me for lunch. That really would have sucked.
So, an update on the electrical glitch:
Looks like they found a whole ton of water in some electrical connectors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts